Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

connecting amp to ve original radio

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep, to clarify this:

* Amp has power cable from the battery going to the + terminal on the amp, earth cable going from earth to the - terminal on the amp. The remote wire isnt connected nor are the RCA cables or "high input" cables.
* Car / stereo is off

If the amp is still on (power light on) then yes, the amp is definitely faulty. Take it back under warranty and tell them the same stuff youve told me. Even leave it connected in the car when you go to the shop (unless bought online) and show them whats happening. In the meantime disconnect the power cable from the battery or remove the fuse to prevent the battery from going flat.

chrissove

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Cheers mate, with check it out...

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
that is the phone kit plug, the other side of this plug will have your brown accessory wire which ou can use to turn on the amplifier.
Here is a diagram of the ve radio quad lock connector and the functions as well the secondary connector for nav , reverse interface.

ve quad lock.JPG

ve video in.JPG

The video in is also used for reverse in. 2009 VE commodores have 2 video inputs

The video inputs still can only be activated using a GMLAN Video in motion bypass module.

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
Just a quick question for you guys. I've wired up some rear parcel shelf speakers by tapping into the rear speakers. I was told that this is not good for the stock amplifier as I'm running 2 sets of speakers off the 1 speaker output.

Would it work if I disconnect the middle speaker on the dash and connect the parcel shelf speakers to that wiring? That way I'll have a seperate line instead of connecting to the rear speaker line.

If I can do this, where is the wiring located and which colours am I looking for?

Cheers.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
no because the centre speaker wiring is split from the front speaker wiring. What it does mainly is that it lowers the stereo seperation of the sound thus reducing the sound quality. Technically speaking it does put a strain on the output of your stock headunit. I have wired many stock stereos this way and never have i see the output blow or become faulty.

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
no because the centre speaker wiring is split from the front speaker wiring. What it does mainly is that it lowers the stereo seperation of the sound thus reducing the sound quality. Technically speaking it does put a strain on the output of your stock headunit. I have wired many stock stereos this way and never have i see the output blow or become faulty.

Ohh, so you've wired up parcel shelf speakers by tapping into the rear speaker wires aswell?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
So you want to run 2 sets of speakers and the LOC from the rear speaker outputs?

If so, i wouldn't recommend it. Basically, youre running the stock amplifier at 2 ohm.....unless ive just been over-cautious AFAIK stock head-units dont like 2 ohm?

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Yes i have and have never seen a unit blow because it was running at 2 ohm

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Hmm, well ok....youve got more guts than me :unsure:

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
yeah look at the opposite side of that plug and you will see the brown wire. Tap into that

mate, im having some issues here with this... see if you can help me :hmmm:

I've attached pictures to make life easier to explain.

on the opposite side of that plug you mentioned above... I see a brown wire.. but I see 2 of them and maybe a 3rd (not quite brown but yeah)..

am i looking at the right stuff - the wires also seem very thin which turned on alarms to saying their probably not it and before I go cutting anything... you know I think I should confirm :lock:

Attachments

• DSCF0820.jpg
    DSCF0820.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 1,686