Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Connecting Battery without Engine

markER717

Un-Donated Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 3.8L VN Calais S1
Hey All I need to connect my battery up to test some stuff in my car, problem being is I don't have an engine in at the moment so everything in the bay is disconnected. I'd assume I'd log a fair few fault codes, but other then that is there anything else that would be a problem? I.E fry my wiring loom? As long as i make sure any loose wiring ect. is covered there shouldn't be a problem? Also have no gear box in either.

Would It be a good idea to remove any and every fuse/relay for the engine?

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Not having a engine should be a worry, Loose connections earthing out and etc would prob be a problem; Id say its all good. If you are that worried take out the fuses..
Though I do believe the main power in the car comes from the stater motor, Not sure if this is correct; but my kingswood has it like that..

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
i have alot of things wired straight to my battery so they will still work when the cars off.. dont see what any problems would be other than the wires in the engine earthing out, but that will just blow ur fuses,

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Not having a engine should be a worry, Loose connections earthing out and etc would prob be a problem; Id say its all good. If you are that worried take out the fuses..
Though I do believe the main power in the car comes from the stater motor, Not sure if this is correct; but my kingswood has it like that..

Alternator?

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
lawwl.
the startermotor has a 12v cable from the battery to it.. thats how it starts the car.. so ur probobly judging that from the thick red cable going to it, lol
after the car starts majority..if not all of the power is delivered from the altinator....
sooo gothickid.. ur fried mate