Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Connecting Neon's 2 Interior Power Sources

salvz09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Commodore
i want to put 2 neon's at the footwells in my VZ on either side.. passanger and drivers side.. where can i esaliy find a power source to connect to a switch which i want to install for the neon's to be connected too..?? and do i need a fuse not to short out any other wiring..?? how would i go about running wire from fuse box to my switch should i need one..?? what is the best way possible.. pleasee help !!

cheers salv

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Depends on how you want it setup as to whats the best mode. Here are the options:

1. Flick your own switch to operate the neons
2. Run the neons to only operate when the doors are opened [will be on exactly as your dome lamp inside is on [so with the timer] but NOT when you select ON on the dome light]
3. Run the neons when doors are opened OR ON is selected on dome lamp.

If you tell me which one, i can tell you which wire to use, and if you'll need other parts.

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
i have been thinking of doing this also, i would want to hook mine up to my own switch so could you please tell me how to do that one alien. thanks

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
owen18, Own switch is probably easist. All you have to do is use a wire in the fuse bay with sontant power. Join a wire onto that [get it before the wire hits the original fuse], then with your new wire join it to a fuse. Then you can put your switch on and mount it, then drag wire(s) to your neon(s) and just ground the neons to any part of the vehicle.

So, it goes like this:

[BATTERY] -> [YOUR FUSE] -> [YOUR SWITCH] -> [YOUR NEON(S)] -> [GROUND (TO BATTERY)]

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
owen18, Own switch is probably easist. All you have to do is use a wire in the fuse bay with sontant power. Join a wire onto that [get it before the wire hits the original fuse], then with your new wire join it to a fuse. Then you can put your switch on and mount it, then drag wire(s) to your neon(s) and just ground the neons to any part of the vehicle.

So, it goes like this:

[BATTERY] -> [YOUR FUSE] -> [YOUR SWITCH] -> [YOUR NEON(S)] -> [GROUND (TO BATTERY)]

alright sweet thats seems easy enough though, whats a common wire with constant power then?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
alright sweet thats seems easy enough though, whats a common wire with constant power then?
Easiest question ever! :p VL's had to follow the ADR's so any red wire will be live all the time. Just make sure you disconnect the battery before doing any work!

If you still dont trust it, use a light test meter (Dick Smith have one for $10), take off the protective cover to expose the spike. Attach the ground clip to the car, then poke the spike into the plastic insulation of a wire. If the light lights up, then that line has power! :)

But any fuse in the fuse bay that you know needs constant power you can use.