Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

console upgrades

B

b6ng6

have been driving a series 1 vy for awhile now and am wondering about upgrading the head unit. the new VE's look sick and was hoping a simple transfer was possible. if not, does any one know if any aftermarket units connect with the original looms to maintain display on the dash screen (i.e. bass, volume, tracks etc.) or if the stocko unit has rca's for subs?? :wax:

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
MY12.5 VE SS-V Z Series Sportswagon
Well,
I drive a Series II and i put my Pioneer head unit in my self (after hours of stuffing around). The original that was in my vehicle was the factory 6 stacker and that does NOT have RCA inputs. In answer to the first question, you can't use the steering wheel controls or see anything on the cluster display (relating to audio) after installing an aftermarket head unit UNLESS you purchase a converter (~$200). Not worth it really, but totally upto yourself of course.

Hope this helps, cheers.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
If you want to maintain the intergration with your dash / steering wheel controls etc, I'd suggest you keep the factory head unit. Apart from the fact that it has no RCA outputs, it really is an excellent unit. You can get Phreddy to modify your factory head unit so it does have RCA outs, that way you can run amp(s), new speakers etc. I've had it done in mine and it sounds awsome!

Send Phreddy a PM, or do a search for one of the many posts on the subject. From memory, the post you're looking for is titled: "Blaupunkt low-level outputs? You betcha!"

Good luck... :thumbsup:

B

b6ng6

Thanks Exceler8r, and davey g-force. Phreddy's mods look sic but maybe a little advanced for my computer building, light changing skills.. however before deciding, I would like to know a little more about a VE DVD/sat nav install in a VY.know of a thread?