Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Consolidating cars - thoughts?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hello all,

I currently have 2 Commodores - a VB and a VX. Both excellent original condition. I am considering consolidating my auto transport by selling these, and getting a new light car, something like a base model VW Polo/Mazda 2 or something.
I am thinking of this for the following reasons:

1. Cost. By my calculations, a small new car would cost me $3000 less a year in fuel, rego insurance and servicing, not to mention any repairs I cannot do myself.
2. Interest - growing up I always wanted to 'do up a car'. I also wanted to have a Holden Commodore as my daily driver. With both of these satisfied I'm now at the stage of 'now what?'. I don't have the time, money space for another project in the forseeable future. So car enthusiasm is now sort of a 'been there, done that' sort of thing.
3. Time/reliability - as my uni degree nears its end, I am getting busier and busier, with pracs, large assignments etc. I now struggle to find time to work on the cars myself, and taking it to someone else to fix costs huge $$$$. When I actually start teaching this will be further exacerbated. A small new car would be easier to maintain, park, clean. It also means when I move to my next place I can just get one garage rather than look for a place with 2 garages, also saving money.

OTOH....I have put a crap load of time, money and effort into the cars as they exist, the VX in particular is great to drive, there is the social outlet of the car community, taking the VB out and about makes a great conversation starter with complete strangers, I don't mind going on runs, cruises, shows etc.

People's thoughts? Anyone else with similar experience? Any other perspectives I should consider?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'd ditch the VX and keep the VB for a weekender/project car then get a daily to replace the VX.

I use a Clubby as a daily and a Monaro as a weekender, it's great because it keeps the day to day wear and tear and k's off the Monaro - so yes, totally do it but expect bugger all for the VX.

Don't expect the small car to be easier to maintain as Commodores are pretty low maintenance and CHEAP to maintain, your biggest factor will be lower fuel costs imo.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I wouldn't go near any VW if I were worried about maintenance costs. Mazda's are popular although I'd also look at a newwer Hyundai these days.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Yeah, if youre looking for a car to replace the commodore and one of your criteria is ease and cost of servicing and parts, a VW is not on that list. Theyre notorious for being Warranty Period cars because when something breaks and you have to fork out for it, you wish you had brought the optional lube.

A lot of the small cars these days are quite expensive to maintain from a parts pricing point of view. Im looking at things like 05> Astras, Vectras in particular.

The small Mazdas are quite good. Nothing is too expensive on them. Parts are becomming fairly common and theyre fairly reliable and cheap to buy brand new. Mazda 2 and 3's are even fairly roomy for their size.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
camrys are the best car ever made.

I'd agree with that; if you want a car as a hot rod, most of the toyota stable would not be up your alley. A reason why toyota is such a profitable company is they build cars 95% of people want to buy; not just enthusiasts which Holden appear to focus a lot on, particularly with the Commodore range as it stands.

I'd also consider a Yaris, $16,500 driveaway atm for the 3dr. I took one for a test drive this morning. You do notice a huge drop off in performance of a 1.3L/63kw vs a 3.8L/152kw, particularly on the highway. That's another consideration; the Yaris seemed to be slower than even the VB!! Trade off is low fuel costs though.....

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
Get a ford Ka. J/K.

Yarises (spelling?) are horrible IMO, we had one for a while, although ride and tyre noise was better after changing the stock wheels and tires, which didn't last long. It was the most plastic-y, tinny modern car I've been in. (I suppose not Getzes but they reflect this in the pricing)

Yeah it may be 16.5 k, but what else can you get for less just because it doesn't have the toyota badge, I second Hyundai over Yaris, anything over VW.

Japanese:

Suzuki swift

Mazda 2/3

Camrolla

If you want euro:

Golf on a lower budget... Skoda Octavia

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
FYI, i sold off the G6ET and now have a 2007 BF II XT dedicated gas ($7,500, 180,000 k's). Best thing I ever did, costs me $53 a week to drive to Melbourne each day for work. The G6ET was costing me $150+. Car is owned outright so no finance and it runs pretty damned well. Best of all it has supported the costs to get back into motocross.

I have grown out of cars, too many laws, too easy to lose a license, drive like a full blown grandpa now and love it.