Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Consolidating cars - thoughts?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
I was in a similar boat, I have a VH Wagon a VX Wagon and I had an AU3 XR8. Sold the XR8 as it was the least practical at the time and bought a new Fiesta
I though about selling all or some or what ever but I kept the VX as it does the highway trips better than most, its got a huge boot and its faster than the Fiesta, kept the VH on club rego so i only use it for shows or club events or the weekend test drive.
The Fiesta's great, its black, chucked on black 17in rims, black tint, zetec kit and really its only good for short trips or around town
Anyway I am selling my Fiesta after 10 months of owning it as the reason i bought it (travelling 150km per day for work) changed, and now i only travel 8km to work

so my plan is to either put full rego on the VH or sell the VH and buy a decent fast V8 and drive that 8km to work each day

p.s. i looked at every sub $20k hatch out there and the Fiesta won hands down, faster, bigger motor, bigger drivers compartment, best handling, best driver feel, looks decent for a hatch, and was one of the cheapest at $15300 driveaway and one of the best on fuel usage
the new WZ's are only a 1.5 with less power and if you want new the WT 1.6l are in runout for $14500 or you can buy mine for $12k only 10 months old with 13,000km...haha

conp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSV8
Hey there,
We all go through life changing events and need to do what we need to do whether or not the folk understand. I've been there myself more then once so no big deal. Only recently we needed to restructure our own cars to allow a new company car in to the premises and free up some money. This is how I ended up with my current ride. However your going to laugh at my suggestion but my spouses new car is a Hyundai Accent turbo diesel. For what you described it is sensational. You get around 5L to 100km and it has loads of grunt ( seriously ) for normal speed use. Take one for a spin you will be impressed and that is coming from a real hard core motor enthusiast.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I'll take the VB you have my Ka. Job done.

I'll even offer half a kebab and 2011 December issue of FHM.

End thread, Minux please close as problem is now solved.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Mazda has short service intervals, something I found out after I bought the 3 MPS.

Very solid car though.

Keep the VB as a future project. I kept my VP and haven't touched it in years but the time is getting closer when I finally dust it off and resurrect it. I always promised myself I'd do something with it once i finish the house reno's.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
projects cars are fkn stupid, if you need proof, read through the 255 odd pages of my build thread. either keep it as a club reg or daily or flog it.

i often get guys saying "im sorry i sold my [x] car, but at the time needed [x]" thing they dont realise is the cash value of the car if invested properley, would be greater than if they had kept the car, maintained it, stored it, registered it etc etc. best off flogging it and paying extra later on if you ever want to buy that model.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
projects cars are fkn stupid, if you need proof, read through the 255 odd pages of my build thread. either keep it as a club reg or daily or flog it.

i often get guys saying "im sorry i sold my [x] car, but at the time needed [x]" thing they dont realise is the cash value of the car if invested properley, would be greater than if they had kept the car, maintained it, stored it, registered it etc etc. best off flogging it and paying extra later on if you ever want to buy that model.

The VB is finished, is in superb immaculate order. Won a trophy infact. Very little needs to be done now. At some stage it may need a recoed motor (original motor has 150,000 on it but is still fine), a new dashpad (Have a dash mat on it for now...small crack). I actually sat down to write the online ad for VB today. Halfway through writing the ad I became a bit sad, so I stopped. That might be saying something.....

The VX I have valuation certificate for off Glass's guide or something like that; due to condition (perfect) and crazy low mileage (78,000) it suggests private sale price of $7000-7500
VB is insured at $6500, which is condition 1 value according to unique cars value guide.

If I just sold the VX for $7k, with my $5k I have available That is just $12k, not enough for a decent new car. In fact most used cars for $12k would have mileage similar to VX. Also total annual savings in just selling the VX and getting a fuel sipping tiddler is only about $1000.