Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Constant Power to power window switch

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Hey all,
I'm about halfway done installing power windows into my VN. All the wiring is done. But since i didn't want to have to use my keys to put the windows up and down, I have wired the pink wire into constant power. Now will this stuff up my switches as there always on?

Otherwise, I was thinking I could install a relay, using the flashing l.e.d. from the alarm to trigger the power to the switches. like this:
Armed: No power
Disarmed: Power to switches

Is this possible?

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
Yeah it could be done, im not the best with relays but just make it when the relay see power to the led it closed the circuit, should be preety simple. Should check jaycars site for some type of module (so you could use the window switch for 1-5 minutes after the ignition is cut.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
as kinkbike_rider posted, using a kit for power delay would be the best bet.

Another option is using a couple of relays, piggy back off the interior lighting circuit so when the interior light is on and ignition is off, you have power to the window switches. also in that same circuit, power when the ignition is on.

If you want to get real tricky, combine both so you have delay on ignition switch off, and delay when you open the car door the power is on for 30-60secs, until the ignition is switched on

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Thanks fot the replys guys. I'm thinking that the relay is the best way to go. It's the VN calais setup, so i think it already has the delay wired in. Thats why it has the extra wire wire going to the drivers door switch yeah.

But I'm lazy and i want it to always work while the alarm is disarmed. Otherwise i'll just connect it to IGN.

I'm going to give this a crack tomorrow. If anyone has any bright ideas, let me know.

CosmoVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S' Ute
Your alarm may possibly have a negative out when armed wire ( -ve out )which you could useto trigger a relay to cut power to the switches..
Make sure you use an change-over relay.
Hook pin 85 to the -ve out,
pin 86 and 87a to +12v,
pin 30 to the power supply wire for the windows.
Hope it all works well..
You may have a small amount of current draw while the system is armed due to the relay being powered, this should not be enought to cause any flat batterys..

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Your alarm may possibly have a negative out when armed wire ( -ve out )which you could useto trigger a relay to cut power to the switches..
Make sure you use an change-over relay.

It does have that wire, but i think its connected to the siren?? Have to double check when its light. Would this mean that i can't use it as its a part of the battery back up siren?

Also whats a change over relay? I was just going to use a spare headlight/horn one i had kicking around.

Just had a thought, if its connected to the L.E.D. would the lights on the switches flash with the L.E.D.?

CosmoVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S' Ute
the siren should have a seperate trigger wire, the negative when out is normally usedfor things like window roll up kits and shock sensors, tilt sensors, etc.
I doubt if the led output will make the lights flash, would look cool if they did though.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Yeah just checked it is connected to the shock sensor (-ve output wire). Although i think that the sensor is incorrectly installed. I think i'm just going to change the wiring over from constant 12 Volts to an ACC wire. It's just easier and saves a whole heap of mucking around. Plus having the switches constanly on is draining my battery, and affecting my siren.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
If you installed a vn/p window module you could use this mod http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...3/9187-few-easy-wiring-changes.html#post63386 so everything works the same but you dont need to have the keys to start the timer for the power to the windows..you just put a switch somewhere that puts 12v on the pink wire momentarily whenever you press it without the keys and the power is put back on the windows for another 45sec...I use it all the time.

Last edited:

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Wiring is all finished. Ended up wiring it all up into the IGN (pink wire) Ran it to the spare spot (fuse 11). Used the VN calais module so I have the delay. Much better this way, no more mucking around. Thanks for the replys guys, hopefully this may help some one else in the future.