Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Contaminated fuel purchase.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
My son has a 2014 Diesel Sorento. Yesterday he refuelled and this morning, the car commenced to run badly and the warning light for water in the fuel illuminated. The car has been towed to the Kia dealership and the fuel has been analysed and found to be contaminated.

The cost to drain and clean the fuel system will be high. Has any other member of the forum had this experience?

If you have, I'd like to know if the fuel supplier accepted responsibility and paid for the repairs. What process did you follow to obtain compensation?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Best bet is to contact the head office of the fuel company. They will let you know of the process that you need to go through.
Make sure you have a receipt, or a way to show proof of purchase from said outlet, and possibly talk to insurance company if you need to get fuel samples from the station before they replenish the tanks at the servo.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Sabbath. Precisely what I advised him. He's contacted the head office, has the receipt and is getting a sample of the fuel. I told him to get a written report from the Kia workshop outlining their analysis too.

The fuel company will be getting back to him early next week. I guess this sort of thing must happen more than once and the fuel companies would know they were responsible. I just wonder how many other Diesel owners will buy that dud fuel before the tank is shut down.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Sabbath. Precisely what I advised him. He's contacted the head office, has the receipt and is getting a sample of the fuel. I told him to get a written report from the Kia workshop outlining their analysis too.

The fuel company will be getting back to him early next week. I guess this sort of thing must happen more than once and the fuel companies would know they were responsible. I just wonder how many other Diesel owners will buy that dud fuel before the tank is shut down.
The more people that buy it the better as far as pushing a claim through goes.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Yeah, though of that. They probably contacted the petrol station immediately after the first complaint to stop any further claims.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There have been a couple of hi publicity cases of this happening in the last 10 years around Sydney. One I remember seeing TV footage of 5 or 6 cars broken down on the side of the M4 motorway after all filling up at the same servo!!

I think it was Caltex paid all the damages

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
There have been a couple of hi publicity cases of this happening in the last 10 years around Sydney. One I remember seeing TV footage of 5 or 6 cars broken down on the side of the M4 motorway after all filling up at the same servo!!

I think it was Caltex paid all the damages

There was a huge problem over in NZ too a few years ago from contaminated diesel from Shell , cost them hugely .

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
There was a huge problem over in NZ too a few years ago from contaminated diesel from Shell , cost them hugely .

Or not, ....maybe the equivalent of some change that fell down the back of the sofa in their executive lunch room?

Royal Dutch Shell Quick stats:
  • 7th largest company in the world, by revenue
  • US$233.6 billion revenue (2016)
  • US$4.57 billion Profit (2016)
  • US$411.2 billion total assets (2016)

just sayin :p

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Or not, ....maybe the equivalent of some change that fell down the back of the sofa in their executive lunch room?

Royal Dutch Shell Quick stats:
  • 7th largest company in the world, by revenue
  • US$233.6 billion revenue (2016)
  • US$4.57 billion Profit (2016)
  • US$411.2 billion total assets (2016)

just sayin :p

There was a news article over here a few years back about Mobil New Zealand after tax and expenses profit , it fair made my eyes water , I can't recall the amount , but lets say it would paid off a few countries overseas debt .

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
There was a news article over here a few years back about Mobil New Zealand after tax and expenses profit , it fair made my eyes water , I can't recall the amount , but lets say it would paid off a few countries overseas debt .
Yeah....and that's just one subsidiary of one big oil company.

There's two servos in my suburb, one is located on a known flood plain, which floods during big wet seasons, they had a major problem one year where water was seeping into the underground tanks.
As far as I'm aware they have since replaced the old storage tanks but ever since a work colleague told me about their fuel contamination I've stopped using that servo..

I mostly only use BP Ultimate in my SV6, rarely, if needed Caltex Vortex 98
BP Ultimate is 156.9c in my suburb/town, standard is 137.9c

Recently United Petroleum bought the BP site in the CBD and they have significantly discounted their fuel by about 11c / L
I emailed them recently to ask if their 98 octane fuel had cleaning additives and if it was equivalent in quality to BP Ultimate, but I never received a reply...I'm gonna try another email..

Last edited: