Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

continental tyres - Not so sticky after 4000km

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Hey guys and girls

Quick one for anyone who has had their VF for a while, do you find the continentals are still gripping well for you?

I have found after only 4000km that they don't seem to be gripping as well as when I purchased the car.

So much so i'm thinking by the time I reach 10,000km i'm going to need to replace them.

I'd also take any thoughts on the best tyres for grip if I do need to replace them in the near future.

I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
is it possible your right foot is the problem ?

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
Only the HSVs have the Continentals. My Bridgestones are still going strong after 22,000kms.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Mine are fine. 22,000km (ish) here.

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Ha Ha, I don't think its my heavy right foot. I haven't been doing burnouts or anything silly like that. I just find if I take off from the lights and am a bit to firm on the pedal she wants to squirm a fair bit if that makes sense.

I don't remember her doing that when I first bought her quite so much is all. They were, however, running her on standard unleaded when I bought her and I am now running her on BP ultimate and has a few more km on the engine, so I don't know if that makes any difference. I have looked at the tyres and they don't seem to worn or anything maybe now i'm used to the power i'm a bit firmer than I used to be.

Thought it was worth checking with anyone else with the same tyres. Thanks for your response Rajesh, good to hear you are having no issues. I hope your are enjoying your senator as much as I am enjoying my GTS. How are your leather seats holding up? Mine is going in this week to have extra padding put in as they are not wearing well.

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
I Remember when i bought my wheel/tire package for my VS, the wheels came with Continentals
I found they got harder and harder, resulting in less grip the older they got.
Lasted a long time, ended up changing before the tread worn out.
Being a German Tire, I think they need the odd spirited drive down an autobahn to warm them up and re-soften them, as they've probably been engineered for a driver who is likely to do so on a semi regular basis.

Unfortunately we don't have any autobahn's.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
The Bridgies and Yokies didn't seem to go off and lose much grip but it is common for lots of the cheapies to go off before they wear. Wouldn't put it past them when they do big sales deals with car dealers. Like comparing Euro made and USA made bike tyres from same maker.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Here's a thought. We're well into into winter.
Wait until the weather warms again before getting rid of the continentals because all brands of tyre may be less grippy when it's cold outside.
Maybe someone who knows tyres could confirm?

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
True but you can still heat them up easy if you live near a quiet mountain pass like me. Cops can't book you for doubling the advised curve speed signs.

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
That would make a lot of sense. we have had a substantial temperature drop in the last 6 weeks or so which is the period I have noticed the loss of grip. I am in Tasmania so we get pretty cold down here at times.

Maybe i'll need to lay off the right foot for a while. Maybe.............