Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Continuous Knocking Noise Over Uneven Road On Drivers Side

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 2008 Sedan 3.6L
Okay well this is something driving me completely nuts. I have a 2008 VE Commodore. Just recently had back shocks replaced and bump stops. All is good for the rear. The front also got replaced strut top mounts, though since then my cars front suspension doesn't sound right. Since I got the strut top mounts replaced, I have a very light knocking noise on left hand side when coming on & off a gutter (Bump/Driveway) now and then. Now I'm hearing on drivers side front, when going over continuous bumpy roads, I hear a continious knocking sound like someone tapping the outside of my car with something metal (not the best explanation) none of these noises where there before strut top mounts replaced. (THE NOISES ARENT ABSOLUTELY, JUST ENOUGH TO HEAR) Took back to mechanic and told him my concern, he said it's because I don't have too much to work with since my car is fully lowered all the way round. And it's true my car is very low, often scratch on the smallest of speed bumps when I'm not careful!!!! I'm thinking of changing back to regular springs if this helps the car take more. The car was bought fully lowered. I didn't realise when I bought the car just how low it sits. Whats everyone's thoughts? (Replacements done 4 weeks ago/wheel alignment done) - could it be anything like top strut nut loose?

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Don't know what he's talking about blaming the fact that it's lowered. Could be the Sway Bar bushes getting old and a bit loose which allows the Sway Bar to rattle and it sounds like you describe.

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't know what he's talking about blaming the fact that it's lowered. Could be the Sway Bar bushes getting old and a bit loose which allows the Sway Bar to rattle and it sounds like you describe.
Yeah I didn't know either why he keeps blaming the fact my car is lowered. I asked for a full suspension check, he comes up with the top strut mounts to be replaced, which have, the back shocks and bumps stops which are done. I already new about the rear, it was very obvious. Yes someone once said to me they've loosened more then they should. IDK

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I didn't know either why he keeps blaming the fact my car is lowered. I asked for a full suspension check, he comes up with the top strut mounts to be replaced, which have, the back shocks and bumps stops which are done. I already new about the rear, it was very obvious. Yes someone once said to me they've loosened more then they should, or they've loosened something during the replacement of the top strut mounts.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sounds like the Stabiliser link arms, or the bolts are lose, they need at least 40nm tension
or the lower radial arm, or the lower control arm.
Either way, it has to be something that is lose under there.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Grab the front Sway Bar and try to slide it left and right. If it moves the D bushes need replacing. They are cheap and easy to DIY.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Maybe the strut mounts weren't installed correctly and maybe the spring orientation is wrong.

Also suggest grabbing a few spanners and making sure everything is tight under there.

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay I'm liking all the suggestions, see what I can do... just what I had in mind. I can't understand why some mechanics just love taking people for rides for there money and time. I recently posted on here why my car was bubbling up and I came on here to be told to maybe replace radiator cap that I did, it even fixed my air con, which my mechanic replaced the evaporator, that failed to fix air con it kept stopping, now since radiator cap replaced air con is tops... everything engine fine is good. I hope my mechanic actually even replaced the top strut mounts??, no noise before replacement now all these noises.....

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Okay I'm liking all the suggestions, see what I can do... just what I had in mind. I can't understand why some mechanics just love taking people for rides for there money and time. I recently posted on here why my car was bubbling up and I came on here to be told to maybe replace radiator cap that I did, it even fixed my air con, which my mechanic replaced the evaporator, that failed to fix air con it kept stopping, now since radiator cap replaced air con is tops... everything engine fine is good. I hope my mechanic actually even replaced the top strut mounts??, no noise before replacement now all these noises.....
Go to a different Mechanic, evaporator a big job you have to pull the dash out of the car, do you mean Condenser? Drier? Expansion valve? Compressor?

Could be anything making the noise, metal on metal sound you say? Not a broken strut?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
. I hope my mechanic actually even replaced the top strut mounts??, no noise before replacement now all these noises.....

I would hesistate to say, here is the cause......He replaced them and hasn't tightened the nut to the shocker properly....

To check yourself, open the bonnet and bounce the car, on the right hand corner, with your ear in the strut region and see if you hear the noise, when you bounce it...

If you do, I'd be going back to that mechanic and mentioning that you paid for a suspension check and a strut top replacement, so you would like the job finished properly, not half finished. Even offer to for him to do the same thing I have suggested, with you present and see how he reacts

Oh and being lowered is the cause...That's a fob off tactic