Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Control Arm to Chassis

Nanoxcel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Does anyone know if the bolts for the front end control arms to Chassis are re-useable or are they stretch torqued and I need to buy new ones?

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
I reused mine, have had no issues and its been 4 years

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I assume you are replacing the bushes? What was the reason?
Wondering which bushes wear out fish on the VE ??

Nanoxcel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I assume you are replacing the bushes? What was the reason?
Wondering which bushes wear out fish on the VE ??
I've done lower control arm,front control arms, strut Tops and new wheels and Tyres, still can't get rid of Steering shake. Used to shake at 90-100, changed all those parts and now it shakes at 110-120, pissing me off, all the changes needed doing well worn yet it hasn't fixed the original problem. Fitted new rotors and pads as well

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
Tie Rod Ends? I replaced mine because I had shaking at just over 100 (Mainly when cold) and Erratic/Wondering Steering (Almost like tram lining). After I replaced them and had a wheel alignment, it was all good. My old tie rod ends had quite a bit of play in the ball joint & were really loose. I recon it doesnt take much play in these steering systems these days, especially with wider tyres and larger rims, to give trouble.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I've done lower control arm,front control arms, strut Tops and new wheels and Tyres, still can't get rid of Steering shake. Used to shake at 90-100, changed all those parts and now it shakes at 110-120, pissing me off, all the changes needed doing well worn yet it hasn't fixed the original problem. Fitted new rotors and pads as well
I reckon sloth is right then, the shake will be coming from the steering rack, rack ends or tie rod ends.
I should probably do the front end bushes on my Berlina since it's done near 270,000 ks and has a few knocks.

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
do you feel the shake in the steering wheel or the seat?

Nanoxcel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
do you feel the shake in the steering wheel or the seat?
Just the steering wheel, haven’t done steer balls or rack yet, I bought it stock standard and it had no shake, put on 2nd hand 20s and was shaking, got them balanced and no diff. Just put new Simmons mag and new tyres with no improvement just a change in the speed when it starts to shake

Nanoxcel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I’m wondering if the struts may cause this as well if they are buggered?

Nanoxcel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Tie Rod Ends? I replaced mine because I had shaking at just over 100 (Mainly when cold) and Erratic/Wondering Steering (Almost like tram lining). After I replaced them and had a wheel alignment, it was all good. My old tie rod ends had quite a bit of play in the ball joint & were really loose. I recon it doesnt take much play in these steering systems these days, especially with wider tyres and larger rims, to give trouble.
I can’t feel any movement in the ball joints when jacked off the ground but that’s not to say they aren’t buggered, would have thought ball joints would shake at a lower speed and for a wider speed range