Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Convert VZ hardlid to twin hump

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I came across a kit to convert a standard VZ hardlid to a Storm twin hump style from Clouded Composites for $350 (Link: Clouded Composites.) It is also available on ePay at the same price. Has anyone had any experience with the product?

I have a bit of fibreglassing experience so I think grafting it to the original will be time consuming but should produce a good finish. Any thoughts/guidance would be appreciated.

H

harrop.senator

The easiest way to graft them is to measure them all out multiple times.

Start with actually centred and where they should be.

Then try adjusting them by eye til you're happy. Sometimes with panels where they should be and where they look right are two different places.

Self tap the feathering piece of the mould. Look at it from twenty different angles and when happy pull it back off and trim any of the feathering section you desire.

Then pull it and fit a bead of 3m panel bond or the 2 part sika power designed for structural panels.

Screw it back down in place . If it squeezes enough out of it drag your fingers down the lip all the way around if not use some more. Then when it sets pull the screws and squirt some panel bond in the holes.

Once it fully cured hit it with a quick 80 on the long sanding board. Then add some fibreglass filler over the area and feather the transition.

I don't mind the old fibreglassing off humps and stuff. My only reccomendation is make sure the bonnet or panels straight before hand so you have a reference point haha.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks; great tips.

I am pretty comfortable with the process. I have produced a few reproduction 47 Enfield Guards from a mold I made from an original in poor shape. I agree with you re the positioning, I think the next key thing is getting down through the gel coat and paint on both the hardlid and the humps for about 2 inches to get the bond.

I haven't heard of the company before so keen to get some feedback on the product and how it turned out.

Cheers