Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converted Camaro not as good as VF2

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Chinese market will be the largest in the world for luxury goods soon
They’re LHD, so that won’t help us!

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
A small production/local modification is never going to match factory designed and developed RHD and with that said if I was in the market for that style of car I'd buy a mustang. But everyone seems to bang on about the price, yes as a car it is overpriced for what it is as a final product but having recently taken a tour of HSV and seeing what goes into converting one of these cars and doing all that work at Aussie labour rates you can understand why the car is the price it is.
Yeah you are right, but the costs Ford put into designing and manufacturing the Mustang in RHD is big too. And the fact is the market is the market, you need to be competitive and offer a competitive car on multiple factors including price against the competitors. It’s simply just not $20k worth more car compared to the factory produced mustang. Also it’s last gen and here you can get new Mustang for less. There’s just no smart reason to buy one. Only if you want a Chevy Camaro, that would be the only reason. Literally the only reason would be “I want a Camaro”.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A small production/local modification is never going to match factory designed and developed RHD and with that said if I was in the market for that style of car I'd buy a mustang. But everyone seems to bang on about the price, yes as a car it is overpriced for what it is as a final product but having recently taken a tour of HSV and seeing what goes into converting one of these cars and doing all that work at Aussie labour rates you can understand why the car is the price it is.

RHD conversions definitely ain't cheap regardless of the vehicle, make or model but in this case it's like over capitalising on your house.

There will be some buyers who will just want one and the price won't matter but the bulk of buyers who'd like one won't see the value in it regardless of the fact its price reflects how much it costs to convert it.

The Mustang is the better option and the extra saved could go into a Shelby package or some similar cheaper mod options.

I'd only consider a converted Camaro if is started life as one of the fire breathing variants and not an entry level model and even then I'd probably give it a miss as not being worth it.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'd only consider a converted Camaro if is started life as one of the fire breathing variants and not an entry level model and even then I'd probably give it a miss as not being worth it.
I had a look at the Chevrolet website, isn't it their "top spec but nothing special" model?
So effectively an equivalent of an SSVR when there were HSV Commodores also for sale.

I have wondered why they didn't start with something supercharged. Would have been something Mustang couldn't compete with, and might have been better rather than worse than their previous year's products at similar price. I'm guessing it wasn't fear of the end-result product cost, they've sold Commodores which were a dubious value-for-money proposition in the past; my guess is that the RHD engineering might have been too hard with intercooler piping etc … ?

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
I had a look at the Chevrolet website, isn't it their "top spec but nothing special" model?
So effectively an equivalent of an SSVR when there were HSV Commodores also for sale.

I have wondered why they didn't start with something supercharged. Would have been something Mustang couldn't compete with, and might have been better rather than worse than their previous year's products at similar price. I'm guessing it wasn't fear of the end-result product cost, they've sold Commodores which were a dubious value-for-money proposition in the past; my guess is that the RHD engineering might have been too hard with intercooler piping etc … ?
100k supercharged camaro from HSV and they were selling 100k HSV Commodores last year seems a better fit to their standard practise and customer base something a lot more people would probably have considered.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Agree, bringing the base V8 model here seems a bit redundant. Given its limited numbers aimed at enthusiasts with more money than sense, bringing a higher spec car here would have made more sense IMO. If its already more expensive than Mustang, at least differentiate it. The new Mustang has magnetic ride and is meant to be much improved, so that makes the AU Camaro look even worse a proposition..

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
But that makes sense and Detroit seems to devoid of any form of sense.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Agree, bringing the base V8 model here seems a bit redundant. Given its limited numbers aimed at enthusiasts with more money than sense, bringing a higher spec car here would have made more sense IMO. If its already more expensive than Mustang, at least differentiate it. The new Mustang has magnetic ride and is meant to be much improved, so that makes the AU Camaro look even worse a proposition..
And that was why HSV was so great in the old days (last year)... Competing with E63s and M5s for half the money. I guess the thinking now is that because Holden have nothing to offer performance wise in comparison that gap between Holden and HSV and those higher power outputs can be reduced now. Holden's 230kw Commodore and HSV's 330kw Camaro. Only works in Holden land though, start comparing to others and as we all know now.