Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converted Camaro not as good as VF2

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
GM-H getting the bare minimum - what a shock!

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
The one that we're getting here is a Argentina spec (dregs) base model, no magnetic ride, no HUD, then converted to RHD.. I knew it would be a compromise but to hear it's fallen to the point where its not as nice as a VF2 is surprising.

Yep they need to top spec to justify the price but have failed

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just can’t believe they didn’t re engineer the centre console. How bloody lazy. Would be a pain not to have anywhere to rest your left arm. Almost a deal breaker.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
100k supercharged camaro from HSV and they were selling 100k HSV Commodores last year seems a better fit to their standard practise and customer base something a lot more people would probably have considered.
The MSRP price difference is US$25k, so call it a $125k car given the current one is $85k (after currency conversion & GST & LCT) … that's a crapload of cash, I can sort-of see why they'd balk at it. But given that the reason to buy one over a Mustang is still "I want a Camaro" … at least they'd have had a big point of difference.
I dunno; when I look at the numbers, I can see the reasons for the decision.

I also think it would be an HSV decision not a Detroit one. I'm sort-of amazed anyone at HO was willing to go to the effort of giving HSV the CAD/technical info & assistance.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
The MSRP price difference is US$25k, so call it a $125k car given the current one is $85k (after currency conversion & GST & LCT) … that's a crapload of cash, I can sort-of see why they'd balk at it. But given that the reason to buy one over a Mustang is still "I want a Camaro" … at least they'd have had a big point of difference.
I dunno; when I look at the numbers, I can see the reasons for the decision.

I also think it would be an HSV decision not a Detroit one. I'm sort-of amazed anyone at HO was willing to go to the effort of giving HSV the CAD/technical info & assistance.
Yeah I was just guessing if you look at $125k that’s Corvette money. True.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Actually, I was a bit surprised when checking the Chevrolet site for LT1 pricing; they’ve introduced a much greater spread of spec levels of Corvette than a decade ago. The top spec is still 911 money, but there’s a bottom spec which is actually cheaper than a Camaro LT1 (which is what my prices above were calculated from). You have to wonder why HSV didn’t do a base Corvette for ~$115k; must be a reason, they must have considered it!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You have to wonder why HSV didn’t do a base Corvette for ~$115k; must be a reason, they must have considered it!

It might be easier(cheaper?) to convert a steel bodied car(structurally) than a plastic car...

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
That centre console would **** me after about 2 weeks.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
RHD conversions definitely ain't cheap regardless of the vehicle, make or model but in this case it's like over capitalising on your house.

There will be some buyers who will just want one and the price won't matter but the bulk of buyers who'd like one won't see the value in it regardless of the fact its price reflects how much it costs to convert it.

The Mustang is the better option and the extra saved could go into a Shelby package or some similar cheaper mod options.

I'd only consider a converted Camaro if is started life as one of the fire breathing variants and not an entry level model and even then I'd probably give it a miss as not being worth it.

Totally agree. I cant see why anyone would pay a $25k premium for something that should've been done at the factory. Having said that i know a couple of guys considering buying one, but these are cashed up bogans who wouldn't know a Ford from a Holden, but just have to have the new Camaro

It's like a mob in Sydney that were importing Mustangs a handful of years back, converting them to RHD, then retailing them for something like $110k. i bet the guys who bought those are kicking themselves now

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
lol theres no way the Camaro is worse than the VF. Overpriced? Hell yes. Not as good as a VF? Don't be delusional.

Last edited: