Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converted Camaro not as good as VF2

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
lol theres no way the Camaro is worse than the VF. Overpriced? Hell yes. Not as good as a VF? Don't be delusional.
The VF is a better handler while having better ride-quality, it’s more adjustable/fun/feedbacky behind the wheel, the interior quality is about the same (except the conversion means there are things about Camaro that would bother you), overall build quality the VF wins.
The quoted power on the Camaro is notably higher and it does 0-100 in a quoted 4.4s - a US number so it's probably a real ~4.7s or so, but should still very comfortably beat an SSVR in a straight line.

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
Of course its not as good as my Redline. My Redline carries three kids in the back seat, can take a fair bit of luggage and still goes like the clappers.

VFSSVfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hi,So is the camaro as good to drive as a vf ssv & is it as well built?
Please tell me your opinions if you have actually driven both,thanks

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Keep the Camaro. 2020 Corvette all day.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Keep the Camaro. 2020 Corvette all day.
Unfortunately, Holden are going to want to cream massive profit off the top of those. They’ll be W1 money. Even though, if you look at other US cars with similar or higher prices in the US that are built in RHD (eg. Grand Cherokee), they could sell them here for HSV’d Camaro SS money.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Unfortunately, Holden are going to want to cream massive profit off the top of those. They’ll be W1 money. Even though, if you look at other US cars with similar or higher prices in the US that are built in RHD (eg. Grand Cherokee), they could sell them here for HSV’d Camaro SS money.

yeah now with local production gone it's all margin for them, there were people saying "cars will get cheaper" these people are all idiots.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
I'd look at one when we have the RHD from factory, would love to keep my R8 and get a manual camaro as a daily....if I can....wishful thinking :D

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Hi,So is the camaro as good to drive as a vf ssv & is it as well built?
Please tell me your opinions if you have actually driven both,thanks

I've driven Gen 5 (Zeta) Camaro SS auto, Gen 5 (Zeta) Camaro SS manual with GM optioned exhaust, intake and suspension, Gen 5 (Zeta) RS auto, Gen 6 (Alpha) Camaro SS auto, all LHD versions.
The one closest to my Redline in my opinion in handling was the Gen5 SS with GM optioned exhaust, intake and suspension. 2nd was the RS, it felt and handled good, very chuckable.

To be fair, I didnt spend a Lot of time in the Gen6, Whereas I had the Gen 5s nearly every 2nd weekend.

I feel the front end of my MY17 Redline is a little better in terms of turn in, mid corner grip and change of direction. The tyres on the Camaros, Pirelli and I think Goodyear may of let them down. The Camaro' s are a tad quicker in a straight line from feel but I'm not too fussed about straight line power. From what I've been told, adding the 1LE package to the Gen 5/6/7 Camaro's transforms the handling.
The Gen6/7 is better built being off the Alpha platform, more high end materials as it's the Cadilac ATS architecture.

All the Camaros I've driven put a smile on my face like my Redline does daily.

They both very good cars in their own right.

Just my 2cents..

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I've driven Gen 5 (Zeta) Camaro SS auto, Gen 5 (Zeta) Camaro SS manual with GM optioned exhaust, intake and suspension, Gen 5 (Zeta) RS auto, Gen 6 (Alpha) Camaro SS auto, all LHD versions.
The one closest to my Redline in my opinion in handling was the Gen5 SS with GM optioned exhaust, intake and suspension. 2nd was the RS, it felt and handled good, very chuckable.

To be fair, I didnt spend a Lot of time in the Gen6, Whereas I had the Gen 5s nearly every 2nd weekend.

I feel the front end of my MY17 Redline is a little better in terms of turn in, mid corner grip and change of direction. The tyres on the Camaros, Pirelli and I think Goodyear may of let them down. The Camaro' s are a tad quicker in a straight line from feel but I'm not too fussed about straight line power. From what I've been told, adding the 1LE package to the Gen 5/6/7 Camaro's transforms the handling.
The Gen6/7 is better built being off the Alpha platform, more high end materials as it's the Cadilac ATS architecture.

All the Camaros I've driven put a smile on my face like my Redline does daily.

They both very good cars in their own right.

Just my 2cents..

I've always lusted after a RHD 5th gen Z/28 Camaro, with the LS7.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
I've always lusted after a RHD 5th gen Z/28 Camaro, with the LS7.

Me too. My mobile ph ring tone prior to the VF2 was the Gen5 Z/28 LS7 reving out. I then changed my ring tone to the VF2 LS3 reving out.