Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

converter in to VT

gonz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharge S2
hi all was just wondering where would be the best place to wire in a DC converter in to the frount glove box area (as i have set up a PS2 in the glove box) , i was thinking out jumppering it of the cigerate + and - wire's

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
You could do that but its probably not a good idea. The cigarette lighter circuit is limited to 10 amps and inverters tend to draw a lot of current. If you're only running a small inverter with a PS2 off it it should be OK but then other devices plugged into the cigarette lighter as well could blow the fuse due to over-current when the loads are combined.

To do the job properly I would run a seperate (fused!) cable directly to the battery to give the inverter its own circuit, but connecting it to the cigarette lighter circuit should be OK as long as you are aware of the possibility of overloading it and blowing the fuse if combined with using the actual cigarette lighter at the same time as the inverter for example.

gonz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharge S2
cool thanks for the help think i will run it throught the fireWall and to the battery, once again thanks

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
I have my convertor screwed into the parcel shelf from the boot side so its out of the way with its own fused cable from the battery and then the power lead from the convertor back to a powerpoint on the underneath side of my console lid. If pictures are required let me know and i'll go snapped some.

cheers,

gonz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharge S2
yea that would be great if i could get a few snap shots ( good thinking a power lead did not even cross my mind ) and yea could put the converter and where NICE

gonz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharge S2
I have my convertor screwed into the parcel shelf from the boot side so its out of the way with its own fused cable from the battery and then the power lead from the convertor back to a powerpoint on the underneath side of my console lid. If pictures are required let me know and i'll go snapped some.

cheers,

hi there finnaly got the convertor on the battery and made up some battery clips with a fuse on it aswell and got a 2meter power cord from under the seat (all nice and tidy and out of the way of feet) will get a photo of it for ya and thanks for the help:yeah:

antvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged V6 VT S
what size/type of inverter are you using, and how does it go? Im looking to set one up in my car for the PS2 also.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Check the back of the PS2 for its wattage... that is the minimum inverter capacity you will need. Chances are its very low, so almost ANY will do the job.

Unless you want to run more than just the PS2 from it :)

antvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged V6 VT S
nah pretty much only the PS2. So a 150w should be fine? everywhere ive read so far recommends a pure sine wave inverter, but does anyone run a modified sine wave inverter? does it seem to do the job ok?

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Pure sine wave costs a lot and I doubt it would be neccessary. I have a modified sine wave 300 watt that runs my laptop charger fine. You could borrow a modified sine wave one from some one to test and see if you have any problems but I am pretty sure it will be fine. PS2 power supplies should not be particularly fussy about the waveform.