Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converters

ROBBO_308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 308
hi guys was thinking about getting a stall convert for my commodore,
well i'ver had a few quotes and they all seem to be different.
was wondering if anyone call give me a idea on what would be a good price for a 3000 stall converter on a vt 5lt.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
depends on a few things. to start with. what cam is in your 5ltr and do you really need a 3k high stall? unless you have a pretty lumpy cam, its not necessary.

then moving on from there, what size you want to go for. the smaller you go the more expensive they get. im not sure if you can get a stock size (12 inch i think) to stall up to 3, so you have to go 11 inch which kinda start at 500 and go to 1000. you can get 9 inches too but i have not been able to find one any less than 1K

a stock converter can be ripped apart and messed with inside so they stall a bit higher. something to do with the fins inside the converter not pumping as much... i dunno. the highest i think you can go is 2500, but they are not that reliable. i have been told that they 'balloon' after a while so they go a smaller converter body with a stronger sidewall and stronger internals.

but all in all do you really need a 3k stally? its a lot of stall, and you will be wasting a LOT of power if your only running a mild cam. you can get your stock converter converted to ~22-24k rpm for 400 bucks