Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting from 6L80E to 6-speed Manual

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
Anyone done this? I'm thinking of it and would like to assemble a parts list before I decide. I assume I'll need the following:

3-pedal assembly,
Hydraulic clutch system,
Clutch,
Gearbox,
Shifter,
Tune revision,
Driveshaft?

Does anyone sell an entire conversion kit? Anything I haven't thought of? Also, do I have an option on the gearbox, such as a TR-6060, T56, or?

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You’ll need the pedal plate that the pedals mount to as well.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
You’ll need the pedal plate that the pedals mount to as well.
yup and auto consoles are different to manual ones
as are cross members

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
yup and auto consoles are different to manual ones
And the price of one of these might be enough to persuade the OP to rethink his idea. $900+ for a piece of plastic that is as rare as a hens tooth.....

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
And the price of one of these might be enough to persuade the OP to rethink his idea. $900+ for a piece of plastic that is as rare as a hens tooth.....
He is in the US. Maybe the parts that are needed, are reasonable prices over there?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
He is in the US. Maybe the parts that are needed, are reasonable prices over there?
Everything will be cheaper, except the console. There are none for sale in the US that I could find, and I searched for over an hour.

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
Yep, in the U.S., and finding a wrecked Pontiac G8 is hard enough, much less finding one with a manual gearbox. Pretty much a needle in a haystack. I will be sourcing the big stuff locally, that's no problem. But I'm making a BIG assumption that the pedals, hydraulic clutch, etc from a RHD will work on a LHD as my ute was converted to LHD with parts from a G8. I'm positive these parts are much more plentiful there. You guys do push the go pedal with your right foot and clutch with your left, don't you? LOL.... At least that's not reversed...

Willie

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yep, in the U.S., and finding a wrecked Pontiac G8 is hard enough, much less finding one with a manual gearbox. Pretty much a needle in a haystack. I will be sourcing the big stuff locally, that's no problem. But I'm making a BIG assumption that the pedals, hydraulic clutch, etc from a RHD will work on a LHD as my ute was converted to LHD with parts from a G8. I'm positive these parts are much more plentiful there. You guys do push the go pedal with your right foot and clutch with your left, don't you? LOL.... At least that's not reversed...

Willie
If you find a pedal plate, it would need to be fabricated to suit left hand drive. They are made from crap mild steel anyway. I didn’t realise you’re in the US. You’d be best to fabricate one from Aluminium for the pedal set and clutch cylinder to mount to. I say aluminium, because 1. That’s how it’s spelt ;) and 2. Because the steel the plate is made of would be either rusty or rusty and hard to weld. Ali would be ideal, firmer and not rust.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

Willie
Good luck with your search. Hopfully its successful.

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
I found out today that the only G8 that had a manual as an option was the GXP and there were only a total of ~1,700 made, so probably less than 500 had the 6-speed. That makes finding a wrecked one out of the question.

I really am thinking that the clutch / brake pedal assembly from a RHD is the same as a LHD, Since I will not be able to find one here, I think I'm going to look for one there.

I do have one question though, about the hydraulic clutch system. Where is the reservoir located? Right side I assume? I think everything else I can make work.