Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting from 6L80E to 6-speed Manual

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The pedals will be the same. It’s just the panel they bolt to is different because LHD.

The plate is mounted via 15 or so 10mm nuts. It’s hidden behind insulation in the engine bay and carpet inside.
The nuts are only accessible from the engine bay.

To get that panel out, the dash and steering column needs to come out. Then the brake booster as well. Leave the brake master cylinder in though.

The clutch cylinder is mounted to the pedal plate.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'm not sure if they exist anymore maybe in the states they do. Mal Woods used to make a full underdash assembly for the clutch pedal/reservoir, you just have to run a line to the throwout. There are probably racing options but it comes down to how much coin you want to part with. As for console, I didn't think there was any significant difference in the size of the shifter hole or position, you could surely make something work

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
. As for console, I didn't think there was any significant difference in the size of the shifter hole or position, you could surely make something work
The hole in the auto shifter is larger. If you were handy with sheet metal and leather you could possibly make a larger boot to accept the auto console.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The hole in the trans tunnel is the same though.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The hole in the trans tunnel is the same though.
I thought the consoles would of been the same? Just different shifter covers. As in one for auto & one for manual.
Like they dont make different bodies between auto & manual. Why make a different console?

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
The pedals will be the same. It’s just the panel they bolt to is different because LHD.

The plate is mounted via 15 or so 10mm nuts. It’s hidden behind insulation in the engine bay and carpet inside.
The nuts are only accessible from the engine bay.

To get that panel out, the dash and steering column needs to come out. Then the brake booster as well. Leave the brake master cylinder in though.

The clutch cylinder is mounted to the pedal plate.

Thank you all for all the above. I made the assumption the pedals would be the same. I mean they would have to be to save on redesign / retooling / remanufacturing when all this can be avoided, thereby saving costs.

I also think the consoles are the same too, with only the shifter bezel being different. But in the grand scheme of converting, this is a minor detail.

I think my only major concern now is the clutch hydraulic system, if there is any difference between a RHD and a LHD installation.

Also, is there a difference in driveshaft length?

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I think my only major concern now is the clutch hydraulic system, if there is any difference between a RHD and a LHD installation.
There was a thread discussing the 26mm RHD brake master cylinder’s availability. From memory the RHD BMC has the brake line ports on the opposite side to that of the LHD BMC :rolleyes:

No idea whether the clutch follows the same logic and has posts on yne opposite sides in RHD and LHD components.

Other than mechanical issues, just take note that there is or may be different ECU/ABS, etc calibration files between auto and manual vehicles. So it may not just be the mechanical side that needs to be sorted, you will have programmatic and/or wiring issues to consider :p

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I would think that the same clutch cylinder is used for both left and right hand drive. They use a remote reservoir and the inlet and outlet are both pointed towards the front of the car so should be ambidextrous. The clutch line would be different but this can be overcome using braided flex line and a slave cylinder adapter.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aeroflo...349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought the consoles would of been the same? Just different shifter covers. As in one for auto & one for manual.
Like they dont make different bodies between auto & manual. Why make a different console?
They call that shifter surround a console. I think console is the correct name.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
They call that shifter surround a console. I think console is the correct name.
You maybe right. But l'm an old bastard. To me, thats like calling a door a wheel. (very rough example :))
If l'm looking for a door, thats what l'm looking for. If l'm looking for a wheel, thats what l'm looking for. ;)