Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

converting IRS to live

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
hey guys

I hate the hole cracking diff cradle sence and was thinking how hard would it be to switch the IRS out n to the standard live axle diff in?
Are the floor pans so diferent that you'd need to cut the back half off n swap it or could you bolt it straight up?

probly a pretty dumb question but worth a shot

Last edited:

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
a lot of work. not worth it for the effort or cost. just get a good weld job done on the cradle

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Not a chance in making it worthwhile.

You could sell your car and buy a live axle car for less than all the work to do it on the Calais.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Not a chance in making it worthwhile.

You could sell your car and buy a live axle car for less than all the work to do it on the Calais.

That's what i thought man.

Any1 ever see a Calais with a live rear rnd tho, 'cos it was a factory option even tho i think all of tem were IRS

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
All VP Calais are IRS, if you don't want IRS then just by a roller without it and swap your stuff. The entire rear end of the car is different, right back to the middle of the floor. There are plenty of VP's aorund with live axel and all VN's even heaps of VS's if you want to update the shell (and downgrade your suspension)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All VP Calais are IRS, if you don't want IRS then just by a roller without it and swap your stuff. The entire rear end of the car is different, right back to the middle of the floor. There are plenty of VP's aorund with live axel and all VN's even heaps of VS's if you want to update the shell (and downgrade your suspension)

is there really that much differnce in handling between VP irs and non irs cars?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I thought you could do a special order for live diff factory? weather any1 done this tho.

i was thinking of turbo/supercharging mine but I dont want the hastle of cracking frames from the extra load/turque. Because there no after market diff cradles n it's getting hard to find a wreaker with one.

no worrys guys. I'll either get a spare or if i sell the Calais i'll buy a VN SS to work with.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
is there really that much differnce in handling between VP irs and non irs cars?

Yeah, quite a bit. Bumpy corners throw the live axel cars sideways, the IRS cars are alot more stable on roads like that, in the end a VP with IRS is very nearly identical suspension wise to a VZ with FE2 and the handling is almost as good too. I can't seem to break a cradle and Ive been trying really hard :) when I do I'll just be welding it up or seeing if a later model one can be made to fit. I beleive most people that crack them have had the car jacked up from under the diff

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship

Huge difference. I drove my VP Executive hard through challenging hills, and I drive my VQ Statesman the same way - and I have noticed the VQ, despite more weight and a longer wheelbase, is far more predictable during weight transfer. Putting down power through IRS LSD in a corner is also much easier.

The only down side to the IRS setup is axle tramp, but I only get tramp because I run terrible tyres :p And people running big power get tramp on live axles anyway.