Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting Starfire 4 to 308

RiceBoy93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore L
Hi all. New to the forum. I’m not stranger to Holden’s or Commodores. But I am very new to owning an old one like the VC I’ve just purchased of its original owner. I’m currently looking to convert it to a 308 and I’m hoping I can gain some valuable knowledge on this conversion and the parts required. Cheers in advance guys. Here’s a photo

RiceBoy93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore L
Photo 1

Attachments

• 3AA29A5F-EDEE-4579-AC20-92A39E239E69.jpeg
    3AA29A5F-EDEE-4579-AC20-92A39E239E69.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 185

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Looks in good nic, so nice pickup. It all should be fairly straight forward depending on how carried away you go with it. Just to note too, the 4 cylinder Commodores had a different stud pattern to the standard 5x120. I can't remember what it is off head but just something to keep in mind.

RiceBoy93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore L
Close to 5x100 by the looks of the tape measure. So must be Subaru or early Toyota hubs. Doesn’t matter really. I’m planning on keeping it period correct with modifications. But also making it completely reversible should I ever want it back to original

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
4 cylinder commodores had 13 inch wheels you will need 14 or 15 inch wheels, so you can use ventilated disks, you may as well do a vt brake upgrade, you will need a v8 diff as well.

RiceBoy93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore L
4 cylinder commodores had 13 inch wheels you will need 14 or 15 inch wheels, so you can use ventilated disks, you may as well do a vt brake upgrade, you will need a v8 diff as well.

Thanks mate. Im thinking VN diff housing so I can put wider wheels on the back as wheel. Any info on K Frames. It looks to me like it already has a V8 K Frame. Just the location of the mounts an all. Correct angle and everything!

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
you'll need to change front rotors( starfire uses torana rotors and calipers ) master cylinder and servo and a disc brake diff, wheels will need to be changed as well, v8 springs and shocks, if you plan on changing to power steering you'll need to change rack and k-rack.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Totally IMPOSSIBLE.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
You got your work cut out mate. Easier to do an LS swap because there are complete kits. Back in the day a mate of mine converted his starfire to a 308 black. Off the top of my head:

K-Frame
Gearbox cross member
Loom
Headers and exhaust
Engine mounts
Speedo
Steering (rack and column)
Brakes, knuckles and axles
Tailshaft
Diff
Pollution kit

There's more but my grey matter has suffered over the years ;)

RiceBoy93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore L
You got your work cut out mate. Easier to do an LS swap because there are complete kits. Back in the day a mate of mine converted his starfire to a 308 black. Off the top of my head:

K-Frame
Gearbox cross member
Loom
Headers and exhaust
Engine mounts
Speedo
Steering (rack and column)
Brakes, knuckles and axles
Tailshaft
Diff
Pollution kit

There's more but my grey matter has suffered over the years ;)

That’s what I was after mate. Doesn’t bother me about work. She’s gonna have some work. Still sussing out if I’ll keep it original or convert it. Only reason I wasn’t thinking of LS swapping is I would like to keep with the time of the car. Plus nearly everyone does LS the world nowadays and it’s getting old haha