Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to a VN Calais dash

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Greeny check the little black plastic connector that plugs the backing into the lcd module forgot to plug mine in and the dash did some wierd things :wax:

Hmmm looking more like the problem. It has a few scratches and markes on it. Maybe my eyes are just not good enough to see. Time to buy more Ebay specials:p Get with bleeds and sticky speedos.

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
01 WH Statesman International 5.7L
Anyone ever seen a blue backed VN dash without a chime? My VN Dash doesnt chime and i cant find anywhere to plug it into ... Not in the same spot as in the VS cluster anyway =|

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
i have a VS cluster here i used as a "donor" for my LCD Screens and Spare light Bulbs (Altho not the Trip computer ones 70 Bucks for 4 Globes ) And the chime sat in the middle where the Set button would be on a Normal cluster but in the VN one theres nothing there no circutry or anything.
There is a CHIME SPARE on the 4th Connector listing so im assuming it had one? Anyone?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very early L3 clusters in the VN's missed the chimes I recon.

Now I've tried the ebay dash in the V8 (just ignition to on) to see if the DTE and fuel gauge would work and wadya know. Fuel gauge works and TDE gives good numbers. Take cluster out and put it in the wagon DTE = 0 and no fuel on the gauge.

So now I'm down to looking at what the differance between the wiring and clusters. Almost got me stumped.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
See during your experimenting if you can find the instrument wires that light up the dash lol. Im still lazy havent rewired mine.

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jesus nothing can be as bad as my wiring job and mine all works good luck finding it :bang:

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
And just my luck i get in the car today and it isnt working =( same symptoms no fuel gauge flashing temp light DTE Maxxed

Put my Old level 1 in i get fuel and temp gauges fine ... plug in the level 3 fuel and temp's stay on empty trip computer gives wierd numbers and temp light flashes. put the trip comp into diag mode and its getting 0 volts from the fuel signal so it must be something internal in the cluster me thinks..

WTB VN V6 level 3 :p :cry:

Oh also i dont get any lights in the trip computer since it started doing this ?

Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok I'm onto this now. Just pulled the cluster that works properly and it has 7 differences.
(not working first)
C1 #11 is "REV" instead of "press remote".
C2 is the same on both clusters
C3 # 6 "10 pulses" instead of "not used"
C4 # 3 "low coolant" instead of "chime anti theft"
C4 # 8 "light input" instead of rheostat"
C4 # 9 "light input" instead of "park lamps"
C4 #10 "Tacho" instead of "not used"
C4 #20 "Diag" instead of "chime spare"

Now what do I do?????:bang:

The PCB numbers are;
39488/2 (6) 3 (6) = not working one
39488/2 (10) 3 (9) = works fine.

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like a VQ cluster dude they're the only ones ive ever seen with the Low Coolant Connector ..... :bang:

On Another note got my new cluster today ... all working so im putting it down to the cheap ass broken cluster :thumbsup:

Tacho Would Probli go to the Tacho Signal Wire on Connector 2, Low Coolant connector: Does it have a Temp connector, if not id say they where the same, Otherwise id leave it disconnected =P

C3 #6 shouldnt make a difference as my Level 1 Dash has 2x 2 pulse connectors and 1x 10 pulse connector but my level 3 only has 1 2 pulse connector.
For reference my 10 pulse connector is C3 #6 so should just plug and play.

No Idea on the rest , good luck!