Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to a VN Calais dash

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Just ran the test mode, Displays the following
1ST MODE
1. Speed 0 Km (digital speedo - needs to be set every time you start the car tho)
2. Fuel 1.0
3. BTN ---- (this is a test for your buttons it shows a 0 when you press the set. + or - button)

2ND MODE
1. V 12.0 (volts from battery and should be up around 13 ish)
2. FUEL 2:61
3. BTN ----

3RD MODE
All displays on LCD s come up, all working and readable Dash beeps and all warning lights light up eg fuel, SPD Park, and water. Except Speedo First 2 digits are a cross between L L and E E take the top line off the E and thats what they look like. Still no LCD lights. Is this unit faulty?????

The lights not working are inside the trip computer. Cluster needs to come out and lens off. Unclip the tag out the bottom of the trip computer (gental here) and then undo the 2 screws holding it in (from the front). Once out the trip computer has 3 screws hoding it in (some of the corner plastic may be gone or cracked - can be super glued back on if needed) and the white lid holding the 3 lcd screens flips over. You will find 4 globes in here that twist out. some times they come back to life with a little tap with 1 finger on the front panel most time not. If you take the trip on it's own and plug it into the 4th plug under the dash and turn the ign on it will light up any globe that has life (with light tap on the front) left in it. If none work then you may want to get 1 from Holden ($16) or similar globe supplier.

Dexta

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN SS
Got new LCD unit from wrecker. Just swapped them over and all works perfectly. So my wiring was good.. Phew..... Just 1 last question.. What is the purpose of swapping the wires on Conn 1 ? Everything seems to be working as it should. just found out my Dash is out of a VQ. Thanks for your help 88GreenVN.

The Volts showing 12 was without the car running......When its runnung its around 14.

Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got new LCD unit from wrecker. Just swapped them over and all works perfectly. So my wiring was good.. Phew..... Just 1 last question.. What is the purpose of swapping the wires on Conn 1 ? Everything seems to be working as it should. just found out my Dash is out of a VQ. Thanks for your help 88GreenVN.

The Volts showing 12 was without the car running......When its runnung its around 14.

The swapping wires on C1 is for fitting a VP cluster or S2 VQ cluster to a VN. So if you have a VN or S1 VQ cluster it should work fine

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SSV Enhanced 5.0, 1999 VT S Pac ll 3.8
hey guys, i just bought a vn calais dash. tiny bit of bleed on the lcd but im not really fussed about the lcd's at all tbh. i put it in (knowing there is a fourth plug at the bottom), however i havnt bothered connecting it yet. i was wondering if that needs to be connected to get just the speedo, tacho, fuel, and temp? i have a 89 vn berlina wagon, series 2 engine and loom but my loom in the dash im pretty sure is still from series 1. any help would be appreciated. thanks :)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
hey guys, i just bought a vn calais dash. tiny bit of bleed on the lcd but im not really fussed about the lcd's at all tbh. i put it in (knowing there is a fourth plug at the bottom), however i havnt bothered connecting it yet. i was wondering if that needs to be connected to get just the speedo, tacho, fuel, and temp? i have a 89 vn berlina wagon, series 2 engine and loom but my loom in the dash im pretty sure is still from series 1. any help would be appreciated. thanks :)

The gauges will work but you will need a 4th plug with the orange white & black white to show the ODO and the pink black and grey wires to get light into the trip computer screens. And while your at it you can do the purple white, green, tan and yellow black to make it functional and then the tan, green, blue and white to control the settings and contrl of the trip computer.

You will need about 1 hour to join up the wires and your L3 cluster will do all it's ment to :)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
If the NZ version of the 2.0L Royal had a tacho - yes you can set a VN to 4cyl.

LS1 - dont know anything about the workings of the LS1 and L3 trip computer.
Really all I need is what signal actually comes in from the ECU up that yellow/black wire for the fuel readouts :) is it just a single injector's control pulse? I have wired mine onto one of the LS1 injector pulses and it reads zero correctly, and changes appropriately while cruising etc, I think I just need to adjust the flow cal number :)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Really all I need is what signal actually comes in from the ECU up that yellow/black wire for the fuel readouts :) is it just a single injector's control pulse? I have wired mine onto one of the LS1 injector pulses and it reads zero correctly, and changes appropriately while cruising etc, I think I just need to adjust the flow cal number :)

I think the signal is how long the injectors are open - but as to what the signal is - I'd have to read the book and see if it has any info on what it is.

The standard setting for "flow" is 625. This number is changed to reflect actual usage when filling up. (done over 5 tank fills - adjust up or down until trip and pump match)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I remember reading the adjustment formula in a manual I had once. Maybe it's still in the glove box of the VN :) I am really hoping it's going to be as simple as adjusting the flowcal variable until it's correct :D that'd be perfect!!