Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to a VN Calais dash

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
hey a thread this good with only 1 like..... needs to change. :)

Dak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Can't find the info anywhere at all, I have a stock VN Series 1 Calais and the interior light delay has quit working, work but just no delay, also intermittant wipers don't work, what controls these? Is it in the cluster surround with the switches or done through the electric window control box?

Cheers.

kiwi pup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V8 Excetuive
old thread here but worth a shot, looking at doing this to my 91 vn, want the level 3 dash with digital odo but dont need or want trip computer functions. car is running wire in aftermarket ecu. can i run the dash with 4thplug wired in to power odo but still run standard switches on sides of dash? odo has stopped working on level 2 dash and like the lay out of level 3 better. i have a dash out of a vp calais, this should work?? no BCM in those?

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
88GreenVN
G'Day Mate, I hope all is good for you. I have had my VP Senator LED gauges fixed twice now. On both repairs the gauges were OK for a few months then bled out. The last time a bloke from Ebay did it and said he used very high quality LED's and they would last. They did not last as long as the first repair I had done. The car is seldom driven and I have always used yellow top batteries in it which I charge with a smart charger. Does it seem there may be some parasitic drain on the cluster to cause this to happen all the time? Have you any idea what is causing this? The last repair would be flat out lasting six months. Thanks.Gary

Attachments

• gauges 1.jpg
    gauges 1.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 205
  • gauges2.jpg
    gauges2.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 207
  • gauges 3.jpg
    gauges 3.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 205
  • gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 205

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
88GreenVN
G'Day Mate, I hope all is good for you. I have had my VP Senator LED gauges fixed twice now. On both repairs the gauges were OK for a few months then bled out. The last time a bloke from Ebay did it and said he used very high quality LED's and they would last. They did not last as long as the first repair I had done. The car is seldom driven and I have always used yellow top batteries in it which I charge with a smart charger. Does it seem there may be some parasitic drain on the cluster to cause this to happen all the time? Have you any idea what is causing this? The last repair would be flat out lasting six months. Thanks.Gary
As far as I know 88GreenVN emigrated to the US many years ago. Anyway:
I bought at least 2 dashboards to scavenge for LCD's before I found out the problem was due to dirty contacts where the rubber LCD contact strips that protrude from the white LCD holder mate against contact strips in the trip meter box. You need to clean these with isopropyl alcohol and contact cleaner:

And when you reassemble the white trip computer box you need to make sure these two contact strips are clamped firmly- a lot of trip computer boxes can't do this because their plastic clips have broken off and can't do this..

Pity I threw out a lot of LCD screens thinking they were faulty when the real fault was in the rubber contact strip that activates the LCD numbers.

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
As far as I know 88GreenVN emigrated to the US many years ago. Anyway:
I bought at least 2 dashboards to scavenge for LCD's before I found out the problem was due to dirty contacts where the rubber LCD contact strips that protrude from the white LCD holder mate against contact strips in the trip meter box. You need to clean these with isopropyl alcohol and contact cleaner:

And when you reassemble the white trip computer box you need to make sure these two contact strips are clamped firmly- a lot of trip computer boxes can't do this because their plastic clips have broken off and can't do this..

Pity I threw out a lot of LCD screens thinking they were faulty when the real fault was in the rubber contact strip that activates the LCD numbers.
Cheers, Yes that is correct about him shifting to the USA as I believe he was pretty crook at the time.. I lost contact with him some months after he shifted. I was surprised to see his recent post. Shane knows a heap about this sort of electrical equipment.
Thanks for your heads up on the contacts I will look at that as soon as I get this fuel tank sorted. Much appreciated.