Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to a VN Calais dash

vpcomm92

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore S2
So if I can find a L3 switchblock without th slider control then it requires no modding, just a direct fit (plus the 4 wires from4th connector) correct?
What model exactly am I looking for? Just standard VP berlina or VP Berlina LX?
Because I thought the VP berlina came with L2 dash, because it had no BCM?
Thanks

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
So if I can find a L3 switchblock without th slider control then it requires no modding, just a direct fit (plus the 4 wires from4th connector) correct?
What model exactly am I looking for? Just standard VP berlina or VP Berlina LX?
Because I thought the VP berlina came with L2 dash, because it had no BCM?
Thanks

As I said if you can find one it should be a direct fit. I have only seen 1 in 3 years. It was in a converted to L3 car - but the switch was black and looked original - I shall go hunting for the part number now as that would be most helpful in locating one I think. :)

vpcomm92

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore S2
Thanks mate appreciate it
Just want to know what car I'm gonna be hunting for at the wreckers. Been
Looking at standard Berlina interiors today most have cruise but no
Trip comp. The Berlina LXs with trip comp have the dwell slider So yeah :/
Anyone willing to make up the SB for me if I supply parts and pay for the labour :p?

vpcomm92

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore S2
Guessing no luck on the part numbers ey?
Maybe I'll try the switchblock mod myself, would you or anyone else have any clearer instructions though? I just can't seem to understand the one on the other page, I don't understand which switchblock PCB goes where and where to solder etc.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Gotta find the Part number disk first :(

vpcomm92

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore S2
Ahhhh :p
Just had an idea, wondering if it's viable;

I know the VN had no BCM, which is partly the issue, considering my vp has none, so the buttons must be click spring?
I also know the VN had the hazards on the RH SB, Whereas the VP has dimmer, and vice versa.
If I got 2 SBs from a VN (standard RH, trip comp LH) and used them, but extended the loom and connector of the dimmer and hazards, then just switched their sides so the dimmer connector fits in the LH, and the hazards connector in the RH, I could use the VN switchblocks yes?
Please say yes haha :p

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
so.. two things.. (mine actually hasn't been converted, its all original calais.) however

1. battery light keeps flicking on every so often (i've replaced the injector plug on the alternator regulator, both of the wires coming out of it, the signal wire for the light i've only replaced so far.. both earth cables, + to alt & starter have all been changed, the list goes on, every fuse is new, relays are old) cut long story short, i'm wondering if there's any possibility of it being the cluster itself at all?

2. been wigging out for weeks trying to work this one out, i keep looking at the 'fuel inst' which often times is correct (8.~ - 10.0L/100 on average driving etc) but as soon as i turn my climate control on she cracks the sh**s and starts saying that i'm using 0.4L/100km, mind you.. i'm travelling at 100km/h, so this is definitely incorrect.. but, how the hell? trying to understand how my climate control can effect the fuel displays. hmm, unless its something to do with the whole 'removed my a/c' thing.. :/ hmm...

doing a manual conversion soon so i'll rip everything apart and see if I can work anything out >.<

Last edited:

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
so.. two things.. (mine actually hasn't been converted, its all original calais.) however

1. battery light keeps flicking on every so often (i've replaced the injector plug on the alternator regulator, both of the wires coming out of it, the signal wire for the light i've only replaced so far.. both earth cables, + to alt & starter have all been changed, the list goes on, every fuse is new, relays are old) cut long story short, i'm wondering if there's any possibility of it being the cluster itself at all?

2. been wigging out for weeks trying to work this one out, i keep looking at the 'fuel inst' which often times is correct (8.~ - 10.0L/100 on average driving etc) but as soon as i turn my climate control on she cracks the sh**s and starts saying that i'm using 0.4L/100km, mind you.. i'm travelling at 100km/h, so this is definitely incorrect.. but, how the hell? trying to understand how my climate control can effect the fuel displays. hmm, unless its something to do with the whole 'removed my a/c' thing.. :/ hmm...

doing a manual conversion soon so i'll rip everything apart and see if I can work anything out >.<

Have you checked all of your earths? Sounds like an earthing problem to me