Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to a VN Calais dash

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Since this is a topic that is constantly coming up over and over again, I've decided to write up what I know about this. If your VN has a level 1 or level 2, you can convert it to a level 3 dash with a little bit of modification to your wiring loom.

This is the calais dash. You can get them for about $80
2.jpg

DSC00381a.jpg

You will need a few things -
- The dash $80 or so
- The left hand switchblock with the trip computer controls. $50 from the wreckers
- The 4th connector that plugs into the bottom of the dash
- The plug to go into the back of the switchblock. Your original one doesnt have the right amount of wires.

Tools
- Philipshead screwdriver
- Wire stripper/cutters
- Soldering Iron
- heat shrink/electrical tape

Attached are the two wiring diagrams that I used when installing mine.

1. Take out your dashboard.
2. Remove your fuse cover panel. Find the wires that go to the 3 connectors for the dash.
3. Find the wires that correspond to the wiring diagrams, cut them and splice the wire from the 4th connector to it.
4. Solder the wires together, and cover with heatshrink, or just electrical tape.
5. Remove your original switchblock.
6. I found the easiest way to install the switchblock wiring was to take the extra wires out of the new connector, and plug them into your existing connector. Connect these new wires to wherever theyre supposed to go in the diagram.
7. Run a long piece of wire over to the ECU behind the left passenger side kick panel. Splice that wire into the wire shown on the diagram.

A few other things to note -
- You can run the dash without wiring up the 4th conenctor, but you will not have an odometer, and that wouldnt be legal.
- Do not try to use a VR/VS dash in a VN/VP

Thats all I can remember for now, so if you have any questions, please ask them here instead of making a new thread.

Thanks to whoever created those diagrams, Hozy, Lexx and anyone else that helped me when I installed mine.

Attachments

• dash-mod.gif
    dash-mod.gif
    92.8 KB · Views: 8,168
  • My VN dash wiring.jpg
    My VN dash wiring.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 32,296
Last edited:

lsprewell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec to Calais
Its nice that people try to supply wiring diagrams, but i would stay away from that method, especially considering I have done the mod, with the aid of my father whom is a qualified auto electrician, and the above diagrams do not match my vn. It is a good idea to make your own diagram using both the wiring schematics form your manual for your model, and to check the new dashes out assignments, otherwise everything else you said pretty much sums it up. GREAT UPGRADE, doing the Climate Control system next. Cant wait.

PS: You got your dash pretty cheap too, I payed $135 for it, very good nick though. Make sure the flexible circuit is OK by examining it carefully upon purchase people, and check all that all the bulbs are working and making good contact.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
:) Stocky, This might just be the inspiration I need to add the guide for the LCD screen colors.

Cheers
MaT

P.S- I got my dash & loom for $45 from wreckers, no bleeds in LCD's or anything :) Installed mine over 2years ago now.

The best way is to lay both your s1 or s2 cluster an your s3 calais cluster down, and map out where each plug/wires go, it says it on the Flexi PCB, just map it out an you will know what wires you will have to bridge/add for the 4th plug an switches on the left.

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
Hozy, is your VN a series one? I really want the calais dash, i already have the trip computer buttons and all, but still the level two cluster, id much rather the level three over the VR police spec one i have. This might be just what i need to get it in there though

Nice write up stocky

Cheers

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I got a S1 VN

Cheers
MaT

K

kitto

hey guys I am new to the site and new to driving a holden. I have a vn berlina and I want to upgrade to the calais dash but mine only has a speedo and no tacho. what do I need to do to wire it all up?

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
Berlina with no tacho, thats odd, i thought that all the berlina's had the level two clusters in them, interesting, maye your cluster has been swapped at some stage

K

kitto

well I bought the car off a mate and it has berlina badges both inside and out side, is there anyway to tell if it is a berlina or a commodore

nsladden

GET UTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Ute S 5.0L & 1989 Holden VN 5sp Wag
Check the VIN number

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
kitto said:
hey guys I am new to the site and new to driving a holden. I have a vn berlina and I want to upgrade to the calais dash but mine only has a speedo and no tacho. what do I need to do to wire it all up?

exactly what i show in the first post. my vn berlina didnt have the tacho dash, so it is possible :thumbsup:

what year is your berlina? it might have the loom there already