Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

converting to calipers on vk

clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, R33 GTST
hi guys, i have a vh sle and a vk with drums on the back, i was wondering if it would be an easy job to switch the calipers on the vh to the vk, or do i have to replace the whole diff section???

cheers

P.S, why cant i post in the sale section?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
hi guys, i have a vh sle and a vk with drums on the back, i was wondering if it would be an easy job to switch the calipers on the vh to the vk, or do i have to replace the whole diff section???

cheers

P.S, why cant i post in the sale section?
You will need a whole rear axle. You will also need a new handbrake cable, bigger booster.

And i believe you need 30 posts to be able to post in the for sale section. But i could be wrong and it may be 50.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
sounds like a pain in the ass...

I did mine on my car, replaced the whole rear axle in about 3/4 of a day. Cost me $75 in total. Havent got a bigger booster on mine yet, have driven it a few times and it pulled up adequately.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Depends what diff the VK has, if its a early one it should have the same diff as the Vh but if its later is will have the same diff as VL-VS, you could just swap your axles and rear backing plates over if its the same diff as the Vh and get a new disc brake master and booster. (master cylinder is different between drum rear and disc as drum brakes require a residual pressure valve to retain some fluid in the rear slaves to stop a long pedal where as discs do not, the disc master has a different proportioning valve as discs require more brake pressure then drums to work)

If its a different diff like the VL-vs series (made by borgwarner) you can steal the disc backing plates off a vl-vs and replace your axle seal with disc brake ones as thats the only difference between the two. you have to replace your rear wheel bearings as well as they are pressed on after the seal.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Its not hard to change your existing over to discs, i did wasnt too bad at all.

clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, R33 GTST
its an 85, so it probably has the vl diff

i dont really want to switch the whole thing over because i think the vh one is whining a bit, the one in the vk doesnt whine at all

i think ill put it in the to hard basket

cheers guys