Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting VN to Climate Control

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
My VN sedan had the guts of a VQ Statesman fitted too with heater box, car loom and cluster - all from the same car. Only took 4 days on my own to strip apart and refit it all. Hardest bit was getting the heater box out on my own. CRC lube was the way to go on the heater hoses throught the fire wall.

The 88 wagon was a "spliced in the wires" job and fixed the 2 issues most people were having - 1 speed fan and the blower motor going the wrong way. I just cut a climate loom out of a car and connected it all up. It's only 1 group of wires and a few sensors.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
cool thanks for the help.. Will keep a eye out for the stuff i need to make it work in my calais..

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
Hi guys. If anyone is interested i have a digital climate control unit out of a vq s2 statesman will fit vq vg vn vp vr vs it has no bleeds at all and all the buttons have no wear its like new im happy to post p.m me your offers if anyones keen cheers Travis.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
cool thanks for the help.. Will keep a eye out for the stuff i need to make it work in my calais..

Best advice I received was to match the build date on your car with donor car system. Both same engine type and approx month built. The VN changes in production were just about every week at times.

Get all the sensors - make the list and tick em off when getting the system.

Book in an A/C service - change all the "o" rings to keep the gas in.

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
I've just installed climate control into my VP exec. Got 2 problems remaining.

1) Blower fan not triggering on any speed. Checked blower fan direct + - connection and working fine. Relay double checked according to install document. Should yellow black wire from CC plug output 12 volts on selecting fan speed? My readings are Fan speed One & Two = 0.09 volts and Fan speed Three = 4.99 volts. I figure these voltage ain't enough to trigger the relay so could there be a problem with the CC unit or maybe the wiring? What should the output be for the yellow black wire? Light green wire reading 12 volts.

2) I'm getting no vacuum to the CC for the solenoid pack. Changing Modes don't do anything. Air always blows to floor and not to face. How can I test for vacuum?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I've just installed climate control into my VP exec. Got 2 problems remaining.

1) Blower fan not triggering on any speed. Checked blower fan direct + - connection and working fine. Relay double checked according to install document. Should yellow black wire from CC plug output 12 volts on selecting fan speed? My readings are Fan speed One & Two = 0.09 volts and Fan speed Three = 4.99 volts. I figure these voltage ain't enough to trigger the relay so could there be a problem with the CC unit or maybe the wiring? What should the output be for the yellow black wire? Light green wire reading 12 volts.

2) I'm getting no vacuum to the CC for the solenoid pack. Changing Modes don't do anything. Air always blows to floor and not to face. How can I test for vacuum?

For the vaccum the car needs to be running (I tested the first time with car not running = fail) Take the vac tube off of the (cant think of what its called) pod thing to see if it sucks onto you finger when mode is changed. The vac pack can be faulty. But can get expensive just replacing parts that dont fix it.

For the fan speed. I only got 1 speed at first and the motor was going the wrong way. So the mod to the relay was to fix the first and second fan speed - voltage I'm not sure about. I also had to swap the wires to the blower fan motor so it went the correct way.

Not much help - sorry. The controller unit may be dodgy - but I'd say it's how the relay is wired.

Your not far off getting it going by the look of it. :)

The wagon converted with this document is still going well. :) :)

Oh and double check the earth.....

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
Vacuum lines fixed. Turned out to be loose connection, put it back tight and all good. Now have all modes of vent.

Might bite the bullet and get another CC controller unit from the wreckers as trying to diagnose the yellow black cable is just not getting any results. Last hurdle, hope this pain ends soon. Thanks for the quick response. Right now the blower fan is on a toggle switch temporarily till I get this issue sorted.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vacuum lines fixed. Turned out to be loose connection, put it back tight and all good. Now have all modes of vent.

Might bite the bullet and get another CC controller unit from the wreckers as trying to diagnose the yellow black cable is just not getting any results. Last hurdle, hope this pain ends soon. Thanks for the quick response. Right now the blower fan is on a toggle switch temporarily till I get this issue sorted.

If you like post up a photo of the relay of how you have it wired - I may spot the issue.

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
finally got around to replacing the climate control unit, luckily scored one for $10 and is all good now. thanks so much for your help. time for a regas. boo.

lilpiket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S, Vx S-pac (l67)
up to the final stage of the conversion in my vs but my fan motor wont actually trigger now i can hear the relay trigerring as im pressing the fan button on the cc unit but the motor wont start any ideas on why