Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting VN to Climate Control

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I'm going to see if I can put a Climate Control setup into the 88 Wagon without swopping the heater box. (Edit - cant do this)

I've purchased all the bits that is needed as far as I know - plus also the proper CC heater box too just in case I fail:).

I've got 1991_Vn2nV's wiring instructions and plan to take some photos and draw up some plans of the plugs and colours diagrams - along the lines of the L3 dash upgrades. Thosse diagrams make is so much easier to make the upgrade and use them all the time. (added 3 items to the notes to do a complete install)

The reason for this is I have all the CC bits and the A/C is already very cold in the wagon. If I dont have to take it out I wont.

I dont know about anyone else - but I love the climate control in the V8 and think it will sit well in the 88 Wagon.

Last edited:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
If not doing the heater core swap I really reccomend swapping looms man. Its so easy, just plug and play once you're done.

As far as I know you should just be able to swap the resistor in the top of the heater core and the bottom little box thing plus the actual plug and wiring for the heater core and it should work (the standard heater core to CC heater core).

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
The wagon as a Calais loom in it already. I have the wires from a cliamte control. So here goes.....

Photos later today of all the bits.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
OK here is 3 photos of some of the bits needed.

I'll get photos of the other bits tonight and put lables on them

Last edited:

Nevyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan
cool...I'll watch this very keenly....might save me some money on regassing.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Biggest issue I can see at this point (re taking heater box out) is getting one of the sensors into the heater box - goes inbetween the fan and the main box.

Edit - looks like the heater box must come out to get the sensor in. :(

Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
When replacing a dead blower fan in the VN - Do you have to take the whole heater box out?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
OK looking through the VQ book last night and it looks as if you can change the intake sensor without removing the heater box. (Wrong)

So I'm working through the wire diagrams and now just need to pull the wagon a/c switches out to see what colour wires it has. The Blue A/C plug I have dosn't have the same wires as 1991_Vn2nV has a brown instead of a green black.

Very close to a goer now - have all the parts and ready for the xmas time swap.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Here is the tricky bit. I pulled a heater box apart on the bench to see how I could put the sensor inside the core. Comes apart easy enough - but getting the sensor plugged into the correct position will require a special tool to be made.

Last edited:

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
was easy pulling apart but **** putting it back in