Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting VN to Climate Control

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
was easy pulling apart but **** putting it back in

Yep - but the special tool making is all part of the challange. If I can get this part done the climate may just go into the car without replacing the heater box and require a A/C re-gas.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't think i've heard of someone doing it this way before. Could be a first?
I've not found anyone who has done it this way either.... But cant see why not - except for the sensor into the middle of the box. I'll bend up a screw driver and weld a pike thingo on it.

I have 2 climate control heater boxes so if it all goes horribly wrong I can chuck a complete box in.

But if I can do it without disconnecting the A/C I can save $150 on a re-gas and new seals.

Nevyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan
is it easy enough to get the core out off the heater box without taking it out of the car?....I haven't had to change a heater core yet.

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
im going to all holden spares tomo to pick up a Vs stato dash, loom and full climate control setup for my ute, already have the level 3 dash ... should be verryyyy niiice :)

love what ya doing with your car man.. good to see someone who thinks like me :)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
im going to all holden spares tomo to pick up a Vs stato dash, loom and full climate control setup for my ute, already have the level 3 dash ... should be verryyyy niiice :)

Yep great upgrade to do.

love what ya doing with your car man.. good to see someone who thinks like me :)

With no footy on now what else is there to do but to play with the cars.....:)
And now that the wagon is a "Stealthy Calais International":p it needs climate control and a V8.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
is it easy enough to get the core out off the heater box without taking it out of the car?....I haven't had to change a heater core yet.

Without dropping the coolant no. - But that maybe the solution. I'll play with the screw driver process more tonight after work.

One thing I just thought of is where the probe goes into the box it has 2 screws to secure it - dont know if the standard box has the holes. Bugga - just got to work and now I'll have to wait until I get home to have a look at the standard heater box........

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like what the probe is secured into the climate heater box is pop riveted to the box:supersad:. So this could be bit of a pain. The climate box I have as a "mule" can give me the thing to incert into the original heater box. The shaft looks the same - just press the cog onto it for the control motor. So its drill the 2 pop rivits out and see what goes. (the climate box is broken and not servicable so I have no problem hacking into it.:)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pick up a standard heater box on friday to experiment with - cut holes in for the sensor to go in. Friday could be a fun day

Nevyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan
the CC box I picked up for the blue VN got broken, so looks like I'll have to do the same as u now 88 whether I want to or not......and as for loosing coolant, thats no deal, I'm using the cheap kmart stuff at the moment till I work out where its leaking from.