Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting VP to VR Suspension with VT Brakes??? INFO or Ideas for Blown V6!

PUR53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 4.2/A3 - VR 3.8/A - VP 3.8/A - AE82 Corolla
I'm about to start a build and I'm thinking about converting my VP to VR front suspension and VT brakes.

I want to scrap my VR and use as much as possible to update and make my VP safer and easier to work on. I want to use from the VR; control arms, shortened heavy duty struts, adjustable sway bars, sealed bearing hubs, castor rods and springs. I would then use a VP style adjustable strut top. I also want a front VT brake upgrade kit (plus a 1" master cylinder) and urethane bush kit.

I guess I'll get asked why I want to do this so I'll explain. So I'm aiming to build a Vortech blown V6 pumping 14psi and making up to 300rwhp so I'm building a car that can corner like it's on rails and stop on a dime.
My VP is going to be built as a mildly worked daily with no air con or power steering. I've got a V1 Vortech that I'm custom mounting on the drivers side, I'm running a manual steering rack so I'm going to use the empty space for my charger pulley. From there I'm running a small intercooler under the bonnet, I'm going to move the radiator back a few inches and make a OTR air filter box/intercooler duct and straight into the intake. I'm doing this because i'm after throttle response and have a sleeper. The motor will remain standard bar a few safety and reliabity upgrades; high ratio roller rockers, valve springs, engine oil cooler, double row timing chain, high pressure oil pump, ecotec sump, fuel system, exhaust and an extensive tune.

Lastly any ideas (pros and cons) on transmission??? I'm leaning towards a professionally built manualized auto with a 3000rpm stall converter, I'm not keen to be swinging off a heavy duty clutch everyday and I want something that will last and stand up to a bit of punishment. Also I have 3.23 and 3.45 diff gears.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
use everything from the vr including dash wiring looms engine and trans... as you know the vr has a electronic trans and the engine has different ecu. from what ive seen on these forums the ecotec can make more power then the vn to vr engines. maybe even do a vs conversion instead, you can have an airbag on your vp...

PUR53

Reaction score
Members Ride
The VR already has a Ecotec conversion but the motor and box are pretty sad, the VP Engine is awesome and healthy. I like the Ecotecs but I wanna do up a Buick S2 because I don't want a Mass Airflow Sensor restricting my chargers inlet and I'm in Queensland I have to worry about Emissions cause I'm gonna stay legal. I've never liked the electronic gearboxes so I want a manual box. I want a V6 that requires as little electrics as possible. Thanks

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I've got vt front callipers on my vp and they pull up pretty good. Allot better than the spongy old vp ones anyway. Does your vp have optioned abs? If not you might want to see if you can get your abs system out of your vr. Because they do lock up a bit.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
There have been a couple of similar posts in the past. The problem with trying to use the VR/VS suspension in a VP (or earlier) is that to get the VR/VS suspension geometry, the top of the strut needs to end up in the sheetmetal of the VB-VP strut tower. GMH didn't spend big dollars on altering the VR/VS skirts without good reason. Adjustable VP strut tops isn't going to get it done.

If you want the VT-VZ calipers, you can do that with the aftermarket discs (as per Wazza VN^).

If you really want the VR/VS front suspension in a VP the skirts will be able to be swapped over. You already have the parts from the VR donor so it's only labour needed. Any panel shop will be capable of swapping the parts if you can get the car to them without an engine for access. It may not be a lot of money either - maybe cheaper than adjustable strut tops.

I don't think it is beyond DIY if you can weld, and measure accurately. The documentation that describes the chassis measurements is widely available. It's in the genuine VR workshop manual that covers the body if you can't find it anywhere else. You might also consider making a jig while the skirts are still in the VR to use when transferring them to the VP. An engineer's report will be required and as there's no "engineering" involved, just the quality of the workmanship, the engineer may want to see the process if you DIY.

PUR53

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks that was just the sort of info I wanted. I'm going to try and do this conversion, if GMH thought it was so important then that is exactly the sort of steps I want to take in my build. Thanks heaps