Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting VX SS to gas query

S

Slattery

I am getting my 5.7L Gen III Holden VX 2001 SS converted to the gas. Can
someone please explain to me the difference between these systems and the
pros and cons?
Thanks

1. quote for a Holden VX 5.7 litre V8 (mixer system) Viali mixer and EZYGAS
converted fitted to maximise air/fuel ratios. Quote $3300

2. a quote for a Holden VX 5.7 litre V8 (Direct injection). Quote $4200

The direct injection quote was $900 more.

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
if u are getting the holden gas injection system, they dont make it for vx's but however its starts from vy which im getting as we speak on my vx 5.7 its taking a little longer since the design and instructions are for a vy, from what my gas mechanic is saying there isnt alot of difference between the two.

my system is costing me $4000 but got a discount of 200 normally he charges $4200

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Slattery said:
I am getting my 5.7L Gen III Holden VX 2001 SS converted to the gas. Can
someone please explain to me the difference between these systems and the
pros and cons?
Thanks

1. quote for a Holden VX 5.7 litre V8 (mixer system) Viali mixer and EZYGAS
converted fitted to maximise air/fuel ratios. Quote $3300

2. a quote for a Holden VX 5.7 litre V8 (Direct injection). Quote $4200

The direct injection quote was $900 more.

The direct injection quote is $900 more because it is a more powerful and economical system than the first system. The first system with the Viali mixer is a simple setup that will probably lose a bit of power and economy. The reason for this is that the gas metering is nowhere near as precise as the original fuel injection, think of it like converting it back to a carby. The mixer basically does the job of a carburettor feeding air/fuel mix into the manifold through the throttle body, your injectors will just sit there in your fuel rail doing SFA.

The injection setup replaces your injectors with an injector designed for LPG vapour and if it's the one I'm thinking of, a piggy back computer is installed to adapt the signals coming from your ECU to the gas injection. This kind of setup has actually been shown to increase power in some cases, hence it is more expensive.

For a performance car like the SS the injection system is the only one I would even consider. In either case I'd be asking the installer to see before and after dyno sheets for similar vehicles that have been converted.

Neil

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
pandaman said:
In either case I'd be asking the installer to see before and after dyno sheets for similar vehicles that have been converted.

That's a good idea.

Slattery or bennzy if you get your cars dynoed can you please please please share the before and after figures with us?

I'm still not convinced about this whole LPG thing...;)

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
davey g-force said:
That's a good idea.

Slattery or bennzy if you get your cars dynoed can you please please please share the before and after figures with us?

I'm still not convinced about this whole LPG thing...;)

As several people have pointed out, it's entirely likely that it will be an excercise in futility anyway, in the midst of all this crap about a $2000 rebate for conversions everyone seems to have conveniently forgotten that there is an excise coming in on LPG. Only 2.5 cents/litre to begin with but thats where petrol excise started as well. The government already stated that their intention for the excise was to bring LPG prices inline with petrol relative to consumption. So while LPG will always be at least slightly cheaper than petrol you use slightly more of the stuff than an equivalent petrol vehicle. It's one big scam. It's not as bad a fuel as all the paranoid freaks are saying, but it's nowhere near as good value as it used to be.

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
as ive been saying in the gas posts ive got it done and loving it. will get it dyno'd asap now :) it did cost a little bit more because of the extra work that was done so all up $4400 but i am not worry about the bit extra money, because it was well worth it, second in australia to fit the holden vy system on the vx made by impco