Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Change

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
do wat the bottle says then:p..wasnt sure wat u bought, woolies sells demineralized water in the ironing section funily enough..like with starch and all that in the cleaning isle

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I was lucky being ex police car from the rural part of NSW my coolant was green when I got it at 90 000 kays, so had obviously been changed at some point as Holden is red.

Ive just been draining/bleeding it from the radiator, filling it up and letting the fresh stuff run coming into the hotter months, but yeh apparantly the genuine stuff is supposed to last 5 years or something
I'd be putting the red coolant back in.

Red coolant isnt specifically a Holden design. The red/orange coolant is used in the GenIII motors, and Alloytecs.

Did a bit of research to back up my point:

The green AF is glycol based what means it is agressive towards metals. Additionaly during aging it decompose in to more agresive chemicals. That is why you should replace it every 2 years or 20K.
The orange one contains no glycol which is what makes it less aggresive to the cooling system.