Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant colour

Nathanaaron98

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6 Ute
Hey guys, might be a post to laugh at but I own a 2010 SV6 Ute and have always gotten it serviced by old friend of mine who I’ve now lost contact with and don’t talk to anymore, anyways I topped my oil up and went to check my coolant but can’t seem to identify what colour coolant would have been used (RED OR GREEN). If someone would be able to help or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Cheers fellas!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hey guys, might be a post to laugh at but I own a 2010 SV6 Ute and have always gotten it serviced by old friend of mine who I’ve now lost contact with and don’t talk to anymore, anyways I topped my oil up and went to check my coolant but can’t seem to identify what colour coolant would have been used (RED OR GREEN). If someone would be able to help or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Cheers fellas!
VEs had red coolant from the factory. If you can’t identify the colour of the coolant then it’s probably red and green coolant mixed together, which isn’t a good idea from what I’ve been told so make sure you do a full flush and replace with red coolant.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Should be red... But take a sample from the recovery tank with a fluid syringe, to be sure.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I would just do a full system flush and put new red coolant in anyway it's likely due for a flush.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
RED RED RED. Your books with the car will tell you. Needs to be fully flushed every 5 years per the books. Always trust the books for correct information.
Also what oil are you putting in it?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Be aware that some coolant brands and types don't mix even if they are the same colour...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Be aware that some coolant brands and types don't mix even if they are the same colour...
It is always best practice to stick with the one brand.

bazz61

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII sports wagon 2011
you'l need to know this ..
to drain radiator , their is a blue plastic socket 1/2 in on drivers side under radiator which penetrates black plastic cover , , undo & drain , don't over tighten , to refill & bleed remove small hose clamp on small hose passenger side radiator , fill radiator until it runs out , replace hose & clamp , start motor, keep running with heater on, and top up as required until hose heats up . should be good to go , keep eye on water level for a week or to , and even better put into temp mode on via the engineering mode .

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I did a thread on this in the “How to” forum.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What do you mean can't identify? What's it look like?
Did you unscrew the pressure cap?