Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Flush, easy way!

Chris85246

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 3.8L
I have a 99 WH Statesman 3.8l, pretty much the same engine as a VT. I'm about to replace the water pump but thought I'd do a coolant flush whilst I'm at it given that I'll lose a lot of coolant removing the water pump.

I've read various ways to do a flush, yes, some may be better methods but I just want an easy job, here is what I plan to do:

Buy 6 Litres of Coolant concentrate and about 20 litres of distilled water.
Remove the thermostat.
Remove the bottom radiator hose, start and let it drain. Reconnect, fill with distilled water, and keep repeating until its all clear, then I'll do one last flush, fill it with 6 litres of concentrate and 6 litres of distilled water.

Will it work? Yes, yes, there are better methods but will my method work?

I'd appreciate your replies.

Thanks

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
remember to set the heater to hot to flush the heater core as well

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I just remove the top hose, with heater on start car once the thermostat opens and starts to come out start adding tap water until it runs clear, stop engine and remove bottom hose apply hose to bottom radiator and reverse flush then vice versa, put bottom hose back on, now add distilled water with a little coolant and start the car, let it run till the green coolant starts running out of the top hose let it go for 30sec then refit the top hose and fill the radiator up with coolant and water, undo the bleeder valve to get the remaining air out.

Chris85246

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 3.8L

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I plan to use NULON COOLANT Concentrate: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/nulon-nulon-long-life-anti-freeze-anti-boil-concentrate-coolant---2.5-litre/19112.html?vid=yGgT4qt7gYHLVWxc/jOR3A==&cgid=SCA01070601

Can I use the whole contents, that would make it 60% Coolant and 40% distilled water. Have I got it right about concentrate? If I just add 2 litres of concentrate that will make 12 litres combined,50:50. Have I got this right, add 2 litres then 10 litres distilled water l?
I read the container, says it makes 7.5 litres.

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I plan to use NULON COOLANT Concentrate: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/nulon-nulon-long-life-anti-freeze-anti-boil-concentrate-coolant---2.5-litre/19112.html?vid=yGgT4qt7gYHLVWxc/jOR3A==&cgid=SCA01070601

Can I use the whole contents, that would make it 60% Coolant and 40% distilled water. Have I got it right about concentrate? If I just add 2 litres of concentrate that will make 12 litres combined,50:50. Have I got this right, add 2 litres then 10 litres distilled water l?

The engine block holds about 6 litres so after you have finished your flushing you will have 6 litres of clean water in the block so to get a 50:50 mix you need to just fill up the radiator with straight concentrate.

Chris85246

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 3.8L
Okay, thank you, I think you've all covered everything.