Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant for the SIDI

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Hi guys and gals,

2011 SIDI

I had an issue yesterday where my top radiator hose came off and all the coolant escaped. I managed to get the car home before it overheated.

I've since just filled it with water to get me to work today until I can get it to Holden hopefully tomorrow. It needs the next oil consumption test done anyway.

My question is......should this be covered under warranty? Will Holden replace the coolant that I lost at their cost or should I just do it myself?

Let me know what you think!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Why did the top radiator hose come off? Had you been messing with it and not reinstalled i correctly? Did the hose 'blow' split/break? Unless you can convince them that the problem arose because af a component failure or recent work done by them was the cause, then no chance of a warranty claim. Good luck.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Mate, I haven't touched the hoses at all. The thing just slipped off the radiator pipe thingo. Not unless it wasn't on properly in the first place. Seems strange to happen after 16000 k's though.

It's going in today to have the oil test and they said they would replace the coolant under warranty so all is good.....I hope

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Hi guys and gals,

2011 SIDI

I had an issue yesterday where my top radiator hose came off and all the coolant escaped. I managed to get the car home before it overheated.

I've since just filled it with water to get me to work today until I can get it to Holden hopefully tomorrow. It needs the next oil consumption test done anyway.

My question is......should this be covered under warranty? Will Holden replace the coolant that I lost at their cost or should I just do it myself?

Let me know what you think!

Ive seen this on a few occasions. Either the spring clamp isnt strong enough or the end of the radiator pipe breaks off.

The fix is a worm drive clamp if the radiator hasnt broken. Tell them you had to fill it back up with water and they should refill with genuine coolant at no charge.

All covered by warranty.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Thought I'd give you guys an update on this. The first time this happened which was about 2 weeks ago they replaced the radiator hose and clamp under warranty. 2 weeks later to the day it happens again.....top radiator hose comes off, loose all coolant, engine gets too hot and goes into safety mode. Luckily for me I stopped near my sisters place and got some water there and topped it up. Limped home in safety mode and got it to Holden the next morning.
This time around they replaced the clamp with the worm style and said the issue was the radiator cap. It wasn't releasing the build up of pressure in the cooling system.
Let's hope it doesn't happen again. :bang:

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
"said the issue was the radiator cap. It wasn't releasing the build up of pressure in the cooling system"

I had problems with radiator caps on my VZ.
This seems to be a design deficiency for modern Commodores - and we should all keep this in mind.