Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
The concentrate isnt always 50/50... it will tell you on the bottle how many liters it makes when mixed with water...I tend to get the makes 10L concentrate, flush the rad/block with tap water..pour 1/2 the concentrate in then mix the other 1/2 bottle with 5L of distilled water and top up with that.....

Yeah mine makes 15

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
I've been using Tectaloy coolants for around 25 years now, never had any issues with their products

Do u have any advice on how much of the contrate to pour in, im going to pour in the concetrate then add water, my 1L bottle makes 15L

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Do u have any advice on how much of the contrate to pour in, im going to pour in the concetrate then add water, my 1L bottle makes 15L

It makes 15L at what percentage is the issue.

If that product is what i think it is then it is just a type B corrosion inhibitor with only 280g/l ethylene glycol meaning it has minimal anti-freeze/anti-boil protection

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
This is quiet and interesting subject. Why do you add anti-freeze to your coolant? The name implies that it is used to stop the coolant from freezing. It also increases the boiling point but so does increasing the pressure in the cooling system (hence the pressure cap on the radiator). Another function of the "anti-freeze" is the anti-corrosive properties.

Depending on the climate you live in, do you really need anti-freeze? I live in Auckland NZ (so generally a colder climate than Australia) and have not run anti-freeze for years, just corrosion inhibitors and the car never ever gets anywhere hot enough where the anti-boil properties of the anti-freeze are off benefit.

Another interesting fact about anti-freeze is that it is less effective than straight water at conducting and removing heat from the engine(the primary reason for having coolant in the engine to begin with)...

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I thought in Oz it was about raising the anti boiling point of water above and beyond what pressurising the system can achieve.

And of course the benefit of anti corrosion properties in the system.

I used to run just a corrosion inhibitor in my water but i want extra antiboil protection in summer.

Pure water, as you may know, has a boiling point of 212°F (100°C) and a freezing point of 32°F (0°C). However, when you create a 50/50 mixture using water and ethylene glycol, the boiling point rises to 223°F (106°C) and the freezing point lowers to -35°F (-37°C). When you take it one step further, creating a 30/70 mixture of water and ethylene glycol, the boiling point rises to 235°F (113°C) and the freezing point lowers to -67°F (-55°C).
https://seeburgservicecenter.com/how-does-antifreeze-work/

So going 50/50 raises the boiling point from 100 degrees celsius to 106 degrees celsius ... make of that what you will ...

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Im actually considering a different type of coolant mainly because my engine gets too hot on steep hills with air going at the same time. I want one that can have a higher ratio of water. straight water in a properly functioning v6 system should boil higher than 100c because the water is under pressure

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
More info:

Our coolant’s boiling temperature of 223° F (106° C) is when it is under 1 psi, which is why most cooling systems are designed to operate at 15 or 18 psi.

As the coolant heats up, it begins to expand and create additional pressure. By allowing that pressure to increase, the boiling point of the coolant is increased to around 257° F (125° C) at 15 psi. This gives us better performance from our cooling system as it can absorb additional heat from the engine without boiling.

https://www.cgj.com/2013/05/14/how-does-a-radiator-pressure-cap-work/

This article is suggesting using a pressure cap with a higher pressure rating to increase cooling system performance ... as long as you don't blow a hole in the cooling system etc ...

On an old car with a shabby cooling system using a higher pressure rad cap may not be a good idea ...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The pressure in a V6 system is very high regardless I wouldn't advise increasing it, if anything it can be dropped a tad to help with coolant leaking problems that the V6 is notorious for.