Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Leak - Between engine and transmission?

jamo96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Commodore Storm Ute
Hi all

I have noticed about 100ml of coolant on the floor of my garage just recently. I have had a look under the car (VU utility) and it seems to be dripping from the back of the engine, where the transmission (auto) is attached. Just wondering if anyone would know what is causing the leak? some sort of gasket? welsh plugs? I have looked around all of the coolant circuit hoses and there is no leaks from them. Here are a few photos:

n78mVi0.jpg

AMWTT27.jpg

efXdSv9.jpg

xjMhFIG.jpg

I appreciated your feedback.

jamo96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Commodore Storm Ute
I know where the oil in the photos is coming from the rocker cover gasket leaking. It will be replaced soon.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Chances are it will be a hose. Im guessing you dont have a pressure tester? Start it up and get it to normal op temp/pressurized, then switch it off and have a good look and listen to see if you can hear the leak. Use a small mirror to check the places you cant see.
Ill guess and say its a heater hose and the firewall side of things or a bypass hose.
Make sure your oils not looking milky.

jamo96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Commodore Storm Ute
I've checked all of the hoses while it has been running after being around town (so the thermo was on). Nothing coming from any including the heater hoses, I replaced these a few months ago so I've been checking them regularly just in case. I can't think of anything that would leak so far back.

topzone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY & VU & Triumph TR6
I suspect it will be the rear main oil seal plate gasket,a fairly common problem.

jamo96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Commodore Storm Ute
Inlet Manifold Gasket. Then rolling down/around the bellhousing.

How hard would it be to replace this gasket? big job? I have to replace the rocker cover gasket soon...

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
How hard would it be to replace this gasket? big job? I have to replace the rocker cover gasket soon...

Doesnt take too long to do. Only about 3 hours.