Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

coolant leak near transmission

coxy47

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
a couple of days ago my vz executive sedan was overheating and the coolant boiling. i originally traced this problem to a faulty radiator cap which has now been replaced along with flushing the system and refilling the coolant which seemed to fix the problem

i went to change the oil in the engine this morning and have now noticed that there is a coolant coming from somewhere near the rear of the transmission though i cant get underneath the car properly to find the leak. it only appers to leak when the engine is running,

am i right in thinking that its probably from a hose or is it possibly something worse?

my only concern is that the transmission has also been shifting roughly lately and am wondering if it could be related.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Could possibly be a thermostat housing and running along the trans. The rthermostat is drivers side, right at the back of the motor above the bellhousing, so it's plausible

coxy47

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
yeah im sure its coolant not the atf

ill have a look into the heater core and the thermostat

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
yeah im sure its coolant not the atf

ill have a look into the heater core and the thermostat

Also, I would make sure that if you have been operating the airconditioning, it is not being mistaken for water from the airconditioning evaporator drain port, as it also discharges around the transmission area.

coxy47

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Also, I would make sure that if you have been operating the airconditioning, it is not being mistaken for water from the airconditioning evaporator drain port, as it also discharges around the transmission area.

unfortunately its not the aircon discharge because it is a red fluid

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
unfortunately its not the aircon discharge because it is a red fluid

Buggar!!! I feel your pain. Almost cooked my engine completely over Xmas, when the coolant decided to exit prematurely whilst driving on an isolated dirt road in the Vic countryside. Water pump/gasket decided it didn't want to play nice anymore. Not much fun driving with the overheat and drivetrain alarms going spastic, the transmission locking up the torque converter (thought I was driving a manual again) & hoping like hell the overheat protection mode worked OK.

slidways

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
LOL i have this problem aswell but only after i changed my waterpump, pressure cap, pressure cap housing orings and my heater tap now its leaking from the f#$%ing thermostat housing wot next

coxy47

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i have now traced the problem and it appears that the is leaking

cheers for the help