Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant leak VE SV6 2009

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The only thing this guy didn't do,
was clean the surfaces where the outlet was remove from where new gaskets contact the other surfaces,

Being there appears to be only 2 bolts that hold this outlet on,
I would use some gasket cement in the grooves, and a bit on the outer part of the seals where they contact the other surfaces, even a small amount in the round section of the manifold.

FYI
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VZ-VE-V...352948?hash=item2874263574:g:bTIAAOSwoylcQaQT

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VZ-VE-V...397561?hash=item4d6050eaf9:g:3KkAAOSwJtdaJKMB

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VZ-VE-V...m4d45c135ad:g:JrEAAOSwf-tatDci&frcectupt=true

Last edited:

Gazmaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Yeah looks like the LLT also has a removable filler neck. I'm guessing the gaskets would be the same

Hi All,

They gasket set is same as the standard V6
part number permaseal W0117

I have replaced the gaskets and removed and cleaned the throttle body.
I am now having trouble bleeding the coolant.

Can anyone point me to good instructions on how to bleed VE SV6 LLT?

Thanks.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How have you tried to bleed it?
Run the engine with Heater on Hot and radiator cap off and keep topping up until it's full and thermostat opens. Make sure it's as full as you can get. Then I put the cap on and keep engine running until pressure builds up in radiator hoses. ( Watch the temperature gauge stays in the normal range,) then when there's pressure in the hose use pliers to slide the small rubber hose of the top of the radiator towards the grille. The pressure in the radiator will force air out the top of radiator until only coolant is squirting out. Then slide the hose back on. Check the level is constant for the next few days and you don't have any leaks.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I made a reservoir from a coolant container. Shove in the top of the filler. Pinch off the return hose to the coolant bottle.
Fill up to about ½. Run the car and watch the air continually disappear before your eyes. Keep topping it up until the fine bubbles stop.

In the VE it doesn't matter too much about running the heater on hot because theres no heater tap.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
202F0739-075C-46C2-9076-C5BAA6481A66.jpeg

The bottom grey pipe is what I use as a bung once finished. An old filler cap and a nylex washing hose joiner from the retic aisle at Bunnings.

The top bit is a similar pipe also from the retic aisle at Bunnings. Hose clamp to hold it on. Seals up nice.

Gazmaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Run the engine with Heater on Hot and radiator cap off and keep topping up until it's full and thermostat opens. Make sure it's as full as you can get. Then I put the cap on and keep engine running until pressure builds up in radiator hoses. ( Watch the temperature gauge stays in the normal range,) then when there's pressure in the hose use pliers to slide the small rubber hose of the top of the radiator towards the grille. The pressure in the radiator will force air out the top of radiator until only coolant is squirting out. Then slide the hose back on. Check the level is constant for the next few days and you don't have any leaks.

Thanks for the info.
I will

Thanks for the info.
Do I keep the engine running when I remove the small rubber hose?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thanks for the info.
I will

Thanks for the info.
Do I keep the engine running when I remove the small rubber hose?
Yes, keep the engine running the whole time. It should only take about 5 seconds to bleed the air out as long as there's pressure in the system to start with.

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
I think there is a bleed screw on the radiator, top right or left on these.
It's plastic & around 1/2 inch.

Gazmaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi all,

Job done.
Thanks all for your assistance.

Here are my tips for anyone who wants to replace the water intake seals on a VE SV6.
Gasket part number permaseal W0117.

Review the advice above.

Removal of air intake manifold.
There is 1 x bolt at the back that is difficult to see and can't be easily accessed.
You will need an open end spanner to remove this bolt.

While doing this job, remove the throttle body from the air intake manifold and give it a good clean.

Gazmaz