Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant leak VZ Adventra alloytec

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
Hello All,

I have read as many posts as possiable before posting this one but i can not find that i'm after.

I seem to have a small coolant seep coming from the lower radiator intake, hope this makes sense - from the radiator water goes into rubber hose then into a steel pipe to the back drivers side of engine, I seem to have a leak where the steel goes into the block, are they easy to fix? is there normally any corrosion issues around that area? just dont want to pull it apart and find a major rebuild problem, the car has not lost any/much coolant from the overflow, only seems to seep.

also if anybody can help with aircons - I have lost most of a charge with UV die in the system. I am unable to see where it went. any ideas? have been looking with uv torch everywhere, pulled the fan out and can not see any dye anywhere.

thanks in advance.

Lee

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
The metal pipe you speak of is connected to the thermo housing at the rear of the engine with an o-ring.
It is possibly the o-ring or thermo housing seal leaking.

vz ss l76

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6ltr
hey mate bring it to me at the radiator factory il tell u straight away with a pressure test free of charge

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra
Oh dear Must be coolant week.
Our Radiator just cracked it. So in turn I changed the thermostat housing/top and bottom house/ Radiator/ plugs/oil and filter/and both drive V belts......
Hi ho , hi ho,,, its off to work I go....... Lesson learned......... My VZ has a Plastic radiator....... go figure that **** out.....:axe:

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
Hey Tim, how hard is the thermostat housing to do? I havint looked at the O ring seat yet but just incase it is shot. thanks

Lee

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra
Hey Tim, how hard is the thermostat housing to do? I havint looked at the O ring seat yet but just incase it is shot. thanks

Lee

To be brutally honest it was a full day job with a mechanic mate- but we did a few other bits an pieces as well.
Its not how hard- more how much $$!!!. Once you get into it and remove all the other crap out the way its easy to do.Even though I had a mechanic mate really get in to it while I passed the tools and kept the beer flowing :beer chug: I really could have done it my self A new radiator was $600NZ from GM over here in sheep land. But i got a non genuine one for $400NZ. Every other part was genuine except for the radiator. Thermostat housing was $339NZ. Changed all the spark plugs, got new seals and O rings, top and bottom hoses, both the V belts got changed as there was space with the radiator out the way as well. I don't like to cut corners on cooling systems. I could have just changed the radiator and be done with it, but a cooling system overhaul and engine flush of the entire cooling system was what I chose to do. Car has 170000ks on it and has not missed a beat, so I think it was money well spent. :spot on:

azza221

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 S
Just passed 100k in the v6 ute and had a slow leaking water pump, that had slowly taken about 2 litres of coolant w/o me noticing...was told its a common problem with the alloytecs...

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra
I thought Aussies were shafted with prices!

V-belts? Please explain?

Im from Perth and live here, So Im an Aussie and getting double shafted I guess.
V' belts or drive belts or new age fan belts if you want to call them that. The adventra has 2 , so `i thought I would change whilst in the mood..... The black belts that whiz around the front that run A/c, Alternator/ water pump and all that important stuff.....:beer chug:

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Thought it would only have 1 serpentine belt like the other Alloytec's. Which is why I asked. Adventra must be different.