Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant leak

Domaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
I recently flushed the system (radiator, engine and heater components) and now have a massive leak. I think Ive traced the source behind the timing pulley but am not sure where exactly it is coming from. There are no leaks around the thermostat housing, water pump, radiator or hoses. There is a stream of water coming from underneath the timing pulley but not above. Does anyone have any suggestions?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds very much like the waterpump - check under the pump pulley with a mirror and you will see a "weep" hole which is not visible from on top and it will dribble down the timing cover....coolant leaks from there when the pump seal is gone. Not hard to replace a pump.
Good Luck.

Domaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
Thanks, I'll check it tomorrow. Do you know roughly how much a new water pump is?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Under $100 - try to buy the one that's made in Japan as they are better quality....tell them it's for a series 1 VS as the series 2 is slightly different.
Others may disagree but I never use any sealant on the gasket and have never had any problems.
Good Luck.