Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant leak

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 2008 Sedan 3.6L
Hi I recently bought a 08 Holden Commodore SV6 that I've owned for about 3 months. It had no oil, other fluid or water leaks, until Where I usually park it in the garage, tonight I found how should I explain it. A clear SUBSTANCE on the cement. I touched it and it's feels like oil but no so thick like there is water in it, it smells MUSTY. At the moment my Engine Light showing "Check Engine" as in my previous post. ????? What could this fluid I wonder....I believe something seriously wrong, but I could be wrong.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Hi I recently bought a 08 Holden Commodore SV6 that I've owned for about 3 months. It had no oil, other fluid or water leaks, until Where I usually park it in the garage, tonight I found how should I explain it. A clear SUBSTANCE on the cement. I touched it and it's feels like oil but no so thick like there is water in it, it smells MUSTY. At the moment my Engine Light showing "Check Engine" as in my previous post. ????? What could this fluid I wonder....I believe something seriously wrong, but I could be wrong.

Water from your aircon...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s normal for water to drip underneath. It comes from the air conditioner. There is a drain above the transmission. Water will drip out. The musty smell would be from mildew etc in the HVAC.

There are AC cleaners available to decontaminate the evaporator core. If it’s oily, it could indicate an evaporator leak (oil is inside it as well as gas) or it could be oil from when the water drips over the trans.

Water can also drip from the pipe running into the TXV in the engine bay. It can also come from ac pipes nearer the compressor on the passenger side.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
It’s normal for water to drip underneath. It comes from the air conditioner. There is a drain above the transmission. Water will drip out.
I got told that the aircon drips onto the exhaust so that it doesn't drip onto the ground? When I turn my car off I can hear it drip onto the exhaust and boil instantly.

EDIT: Just realized I'm in the VE forum and not the VF, only VF's do this :p

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It’s normal for water to drip underneath. It comes from the air conditioner. There is a drain above the transmission. Water will drip out. The musty smell would be from mildew etc in the HVAC.

There are AC cleaners available to decontaminate the evaporator core. If it’s oily, it could indicate an evaporator leak (oil is inside it as well as gas) or it could be oil from when the water drips over the trans.

Water can also drip from the pipe running into the TXV in the engine bay. It can also come from ac pipes nearer the compressor on the passenger side.
There is no oil inside the evaporater.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Having just had the whole interior out and removing and dismantling the HVAC to install a new evaporator, I can say there was plenty of oil on the evap core (where the leak was) and that came out of the core once removed.

However I wasn’t suggesting this in my post. Was simply saying as the water comes out the drain, it’s going to travel across the trans (once leaving the drain) and onto the ground.

It may dribble onto the exhaust but as the exhaust and trans cool, the water drips onto the ground.

There a number of things that can be happening that can cause the evaporator to remain dripping for a long time after the car is switched off.

As for the pipes in the engine bay, the amount of condensation on them, and after the system is switched off will depend on dew points and air temps.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Having just had the whole interior out and removing and dismantling the HVAC to install a new evaporator, I can say there was plenty of oil on the evap core (where the leak was) and that came out of the core once removed.

However I wasn’t suggesting this in my post. Was simply saying as the water comes out the drain, it’s going to travel across the trans (once leaving the drain) and onto the ground.

It may dribble onto the exhaust but as the exhaust and trans cool, the water drips onto the ground.

There a number of things that can be happening that can cause the evaporator to remain dripping for a long time after the car is switched off.
it's probably die not oil.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It was oily.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
There is no oil inside the evaporater.
Um, yes there is. All A/C systems contain small amounts of oil that travel through the system with the gas. The oil will lubricate seals etc. (similar idea to the drops of oil you put in air tools before use).
Ever heard someone recommended to use your a/c at least once every 6months? This circulates that oil.