Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Level

P3T3R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Holden Commodore VF SV6
Hi All,

Just checked the coolant level using the dipstick with the yellow cap and its on the minimum line, should I just add water or go and buy some coolant from somewhere?

The car is a 2014 vf holden commodore sv6.

Regards,
P3T3R

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Adequate coolant content is usually given in a range so a small top up of demineralised water is not likely to cause any problem, unless there is a massive leak to throw off the ratio.

Eric Gleeson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF International
Maybe some top up coolant would be a viable option but if you haven't had a coolant flush done for a number of years that might be an idea.... your car will appreciate it bigtime.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
The yellow dipstick is the overflow tank. If cold it will be on the min line. When the car is hot the coolant level will rise. Cars don’t lose coolant unless there is a leak somewhere.

Adding coolant is not needed unless doing a coolant flush. Best thing to do would be a flush and use genuine coolant. Coolants can be a strange thing with so many different types and colours. Red from one brand is not the same as red from others. Heaps of mechanics will only use dexcool in GM cars.

P3T3R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Holden Commodore VF SV6
Yeah I was kind of worried that it might have been leaking from somewhere considering the last time I checked it, it was sitting about half way up the dipstick.

I might just get a coolant flush done, since it hasn't been done in the last 75,000 kms.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Every five years for red coolant change and every two years for brake system to be flushed and changed. It all in your books.

Eric Gleeson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF International
Every five years for red coolant change and every two years for brake system to be flushed and changed. It all in your books.

I lost my log books a few years ago because of incompetent mechanics that I took it to didn't put the log books back in my glove box after it was serviced.... had no idea when I was meant to get what done...