Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant loss, no visible leaks

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Yer,
I can pick up what you are putting down mate but i'm just a normal run of the mill punter who must invest in someone else to work on my car. I Just aint got those skills unfortunatley but i do have a very good trusted mechanic when i am in Perth.

When i am touring i have no one i can trust so have zero trust except to go to the Holden dealer and roll the dice that it comes up Green.

I'm not in your boat mate and do not have your skill set.

Cheers mate, all the best eh.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Why deal with aftermarket? Sanity for one? Doesn’t give me alot of confidence when the service manager of a dealer comes in flustered that the 100kg of kitty litter I sold him won’t be enough for the spill that just happened in their workshop.
Because it is the aftermarket suppliers that supply oem. Why pay for the Subaru OEM tag tax on a clutch for a 2002 Outback. When you can buy an Exedy clutch off the shelf - Which is the exact same as the one they used on the factory floor - from any of the big 3 part companies? Ryco filters started by supplying Ford their filters. Z10 was the one your dealer had, Z9 is what you buy. Exact same filter.

And its mechanics, from back yard bogans, to Dealers and National chains supporting their local parts shop, that means theres an aftermarket option for Joe Blow to save a few pennies on his service parts. Bloke quizzed me today on why I was charging $85 for pads. How would he react if genuine had a monolopy and could set pads to whatever they liked.

If you want to know who is a trust worthy mecahnic. Ask them for the certificate from their last technical class they attended. Of every mechanic I have as a customer, I know that the best one in my town are ones that don’t consider my parts shop as their prefered supplier but will still pester me with “when is the next tech night?”
(Edit to clarify: I don’t have multiple workshops avoiding my parts but still wanting training. I mean I have one customer, who is no where near my biggest. But will still ask regularly if we have tech nights to send his mechanics to)

Rant over. It certainly did not start as a rant…

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Why deal with aftermarket? Sanity for one? Doesn’t give me alot of confidence when the service manager of a dealer comes in flustered that the 100kg of kitty litter I sold him won’t be enough for the spill that just happened in their workshop.
Because it is the aftermarket suppliers that supply oem. Why pay for the Subaru OEM tag tax on a clutch for a 2002 Outback. When you can buy an Exedy clutch off the shelf - Which is the exact same as the one they used on the factory floor - from any of the big 3 part companies? Ryco filters started by supplying Ford their filters. Z10 was the one your dealer had, Z9 is what you buy. Exact same filter.

And its mechanics, from back yard bogans, to Dealers and National chains supporting their local parts shop, that means theres an aftermarket option for Joe Blow to save a few pennies on his service parts. Bloke quizzed me today on why I was charging $85 for pads. How would he react if genuine had a monolopy and could set pads to whatever they liked.

If you want to know who is a trust worthy mecahnic. Ask them for the certificate from their last technical class they attended. Of every mechanic I have as a customer, I know that the best one in my town are ones that don’t consider my parts shop as their prefered supplier but will still pester me with “when is the next tech night?”
(Edit to clarify: I don’t have multiple workshops avoiding my parts but still wanting training. I mean I have one customer, who is no where near my biggest. But will still ask regularly if we have tech nights to send his mechanics to)

Rant over. It certainly did not start as a rant…
Genuine is just an absolute ripoff on most occasions, especially Subaru. Once went to Subaru for a PCV valve for a Subaru RX (EJ20 engine) and they wanted over $250 bucks for it! Needless to say it was replaced with an aftermarket one.

The fact that dealers still think they can charge like a wounded bull tells you that there’s still plenty of suckers who put all their faith in genuine parts! I used to very rarely use genuine parts as I got sick of wasting my time asking for pricing from the stealership and then finding the aftermarket part for less than half the price.

Ive noticed that now Holden has closed their genuine parts prices seem to have become a lot more reasonable and I’m buying more genuine parts than before. Maybe now that GMH only have spare parts sales to survive on they are actually trying to turn them over?