Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant question

quombone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
Hi,
I have just purchased a VT, during a quick check of everything I noticed that there was only water in the cooling system. My question is, the water seems very clean, so I was thinking of just draining the radiator and adding Tectaloy V Plus straight in, to the correct level and it should mix through.
Would it be ok to do it this way?
cheers
quom

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Well, if it were mine i'd drain the lot, flush the block and heater and start again. That way you know exactly what's in there.

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
Always use Holden coolant 50/50 with distilled water. csiro says its second best in the world and wont eat your gaskets. As juzo said flush out the radiator with the hose first at least. there is a drain plug on either side of the block for draining coolant out. change your thermostat to an early opener and dont forget to get the air out of the system when its full of Holden coolant.

quombone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
Always use Holden coolant 50/50 with distilled water. csiro says its second best in the world and wont eat your gaskets. As juzo said flush out the radiator with the hose first at least. there is a drain plug on either side of the block for draining coolant out. change your thermostat to an early opener and dont forget to get the air out of the system when its full of Holden coolant.

What does CSIRO rate No.1 ?
early opener thermo, completly nessesary?
Thanks for the info

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
its not hard to drain your coolant just undo the bottom radiator hose and take off the radiator cap. Once its all drained refill with clean water, Run car for untill thermostat opens then drain again through bottom radiator hose and then refill with proper coolant. If I were you though il run a coolant flush through it just for peace of mind.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
It prob would mix through evently but you dont know whats inside the block let alone the bottom of the radiator. So its best to flush it completely only take and extra 10-15 min..

Dont bother with the Holden coolant it only regular coolant in a Holden bottle and it doesnt do anything more than what you would buy from repco or supercheap.

Been filling 1000s of commodores including my own SS with repco coolant from work for years and never seen a head gasket go or rust the heads out or stuff water pumps...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
BOGAN , do you need the tablets with Repco coolant ?

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
I have never put them in either and never had a prob with the many v6s and v8s done at work or the ones that i have owned..

My personal opinion is that they are a bit of a con by Holden...

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Im draining my coolent as we speak in prepare 4 the heater core change but atm i cant seem 2 find the 2 knock sensors on the block??? ive got the VT cd manual but the pic that shows u the cover plate and sensor is very small n hard 2 tell where it is exactly ne1 able 2 explain where bouts???

Also ive been using the repco coolent and will b again 4 the VT all mechanics ive spoken 2 said 2 use either tectaloy or the repco stuff.