Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant question

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Im draining my coolent as we speak in prepare 4 the heater core change but atm i cant seem 2 find the 2 knock sensors on the block??? ive got the VT cd manual but the pic that shows u the cover plate and sensor is very small n hard 2 tell where it is exactly ne1 able 2 explain where bouts???

Also ive been using the repco coolent and will b again 4 the VT all mechanics ive spoken 2 said 2 use either tectaloy or the repco stuff.

In the manual it does say to remove the Knock sensors to drain the cooling system, I was abit confused. Spoke to the local holden mechanic, he said its a joke, you cant do it with out a hoist, and even then you'd be struggling to pull them out with out alot of effort, and its only bout 100mls you drain out he said.
I didnt bother when I replaced nearly all our cooling system. Personelly I use Holden coolant and the tablets because I know my mums partner will find any excuse to say Im not looking after the car :p

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
In the manual it does say to remove the Knock sensors to drain the cooling system, I was abit confused. Spoke to the local holden mechanic, he said its a joke, you cant do it with out a hoist, and even then you'd be struggling to pull them out with out alot of effort, and its only bout 100mls you drain out he said.
I didnt bother when I replaced nearly all our cooling system. Personelly I use Holden coolant and the tablets because I know my mums partner will find any excuse to say Im not looking after the car :p

Ahhh thats good so wen flushing the system the sensors wont get damaged??? thats mainly wat im worried about if i dont have 2 remove them i wont :thumbsup:

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
^^^^^ I would safely say when holden techs do a flush they wouldnt remove the knock sensors either.....

NOW GET THAT HEATER CORE CHANGED OVER.:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
tabs are to protect ur water pump

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
iv heard that the tablets are to protect the water pump inpeller from buildup? which I think is crap and iv also heard that the tablets are to lubricate the water pump seal which sounds more true. But still think it is a pull

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Holden tablets are a BIG CON!!!!!!

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
con or not i felt safer using them when i had a VP v6. i don't need them apparently with the VT v8 5.0.