Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant recovery tank on VX SS Gen III?

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Had the coolant changed on the SS on the last service, as it was changed I thought I would keep an eye on it in case it may need a top up. After a long run when it was hot I noted the level on the recovery tank, also the recovery tank was hot so coolant must have flowed into it,
but when I looked at it cold it still appears to be at about the same level, car runs fine, temp gauge sits at the same spot it usually does but does not appear to be much difference in the level of the coolant in the recovery tank between hot and cold.

Thinking about it I think it has been like that for many years, does only a small amount flow into the tank and the level does not alter much? As the VX GenIII's don't have a radiator cap you can't see how full the radiator is.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The LS uses a slightly different style cooling system, rather than the older style radiator with a pressure cap and overflow bottle the LS uses an expansion tank which is always part full and has coolant flowing through it when the engine is running. This system is much better as it is the highest point of the coolant system and there are bleed hoses coming from the engine and radiator that allow any air to bleed to the highest point out from anywhere where it can cause trouble.

A consistent coolant level is exactly what you want. Once it warms up the level may rise slighty but this is completely normal as coolant expands when hot.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
The LS uses a slightly different style cooling system, rather than the older style radiator with a pressure cap and overflow bottle the LS uses an expansion tank which is always part full and has coolant flowing through it when the engine is running. This system is much better as it is the highest point of the coolant system and there are bleed hoses coming from the engine and radiator that allow any air to bleed to the highest point out from anywhere where it can cause trouble.

A consistent coolant level is exactly what you want. Once it warms up the level may rise slighty but this is completely normal as coolant expands when hot.

Thanks mate, explains it well, I was expecting the level to look say 1 to 2 cm higher when hot then drop back to the cold level as it cooled and returned to the radiator.
Had me a bit confused as to why it seems to stay in about the same spot, was starting to think it was not returning to the radiator.
Thanks again.