Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant smell

Jarrad/vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr berlina
Hi all I have a 1994 vr berlina and when it’s warmed up there is a coolant smell while driving. Could it be because it’s an old car? Temperature is fine too doesn’t get hot or anything like that
Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it's inside the cab it will be 100% the heater core leaking. Pretty common issue.

Jarrad/vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr berlina
If it's inside the cab it will be 100% the heater core leaking. Pretty common issue.
Ahh okay that’s probably why it makes a gurgling noise while driving.
They easy to replace?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They easy to replace?
Depends on what you call easy? Can it be done at home absolutely yes, just not the regas. Is it a big job yep to do it right, it sure is. Cost me around $400 in parts and about $1000 in labour plus an A/C regas. Do it right and you will love the freezing cold A/C and super hot heater. Do it half arsed and you will have a fairly warm heater but that's about it. Bodgy way is to slash the heater pipes and join them with heater hose and four clamps. I chose the hard way and have no regrets as my A/C evap was blocked and was stopping the A/C from working properly, it was barely cold in summer. Unfortunately no way of cleaning the evap without pulling the dash out.

Jarrad/vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr berlina
Ahh okay that’s probably why it makes a gurgling noise while driving.
They easy to replace?
Damn okay, I woudnt have a clue how to, how much do you reckon my local mechanic would charge? Probably would be easier since I have no one to do it

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Labour will be around $1000, regas $130, parts if he cuts you a deal like my bloke did with me $400. If he charges retail parts will be around $600.

Jarrad/vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr berlina
Labour will be around $1000, regas $130, parts if he cuts you a deal like my bloke did with me $400. If he charges retail parts will be around $600.
**** okay, what about if I supply the parts? And just get the labour done? What parts will I need besides a new heater core?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bodgy way is still around 3hrs work plus a core. My core was $145 IIRC.

Jarrad/vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr berlina
Bodgy way is still around 3hrs work plus a core. My core was $145 IIRC.
So would it be better if I supply the heater core and just pay the labour for them to install it? Because my grandfather is well known to the auto place that I go to so maybe it might be the best option?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
**** okay, what about if I supply the parts? And just get the labour done? What parts will I need besides a new heater core?

Evap and TX valve. You could take a chance on the evap but for $150 if he looks after you it's money well spent considering you will be looking at close to $1200 labour including regas.