Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant stuck in reserve tank

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Anyone know why the coolant in my system goes into the reserve tank like it should when it's hot but it won't go back into the radiator when it cools down.
Radiator cap is the correct pressure rating and the hose from the radiator filler neck to the reserve tank is not blocked.

Cheers

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Probably a loose hose clamp or the waterpump seal leaking slightly. It is easier to suck air in through a slight leak than it is to suck coolant back out of the overflow tank.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Probably a loose hose clamp or the waterpump seal leaking slightly. It is easier to suck air in through a slight leak than it is to suck coolant back out of the overflow tank.

I thought there must be a leak elsewhere and it is drawing air in but I can't find anything. If it is able to suck air in then it should also leak coolant when under pressure right?
Maybe I need to have a better look.

Is this likely to cause any problems if I keep the radiator topped up?

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
there should always be coolant in the overflow tank whether it is hot or cold...there is nothing wrong with your coolant or your system...its not blocked.

relax and dont worry unless your temperature guage is getting near hot...

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
But the problem is if I keep topping up the radiator then the reserve tank will eventually overflow.

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Anyone know why the coolant in my system goes into the reserve tank like it should when it's hot but it won't go back into the radiator when it cools down.
Radiator cap is the correct pressure rating and the hose from the radiator filler neck to the reserve tank is not blocked.

Cheers
So you are saying that the water level in the overflow tank never drops?
It could be normal that it never completely empties the overflow but if it doesnt go down anwhere as much as it fills when its hot then there is an air leak.
Where are the likely places?
1] Primary suspect is the radiator cap seal under the cap/handle of the cap. The cap neck seal may be OK and blow off at the correct pressure but the top of the cap must also seal against the top of the neck both under pressure and a slight vacuum.
2] The water pump seal can allow air in as it is only the spring that holds seal face together. Once pressure has built up in the cooling system the pressure also forces the sael against the sealing face.
3] As mentioned in another post above a clamp on a connection to the expansion tank could be loose or it could also be too tight and cuts the hose or worse deforms or splits the nipple that the hose is fitted to.
4] If you have to top up the radiator look also at heater taps as sometimes the leak is not obvious but if you are using the GM coolant it generally leaves a telltale stain.

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
But the problem is if I keep topping up the radiator then the reserve tank will eventually overflow.

that still sounds normal. theres too much water in the system. as the car gets hot, the water expands, thus getting pushed into the overflow, and if the overflow is full as well. theres only one place for the water to go and thats straight out onto the ground. as the car cools down it will then suck the water back into the radiator.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
that still sounds normal. theres too much water in the system. as the car gets hot, the water expands, thus getting pushed into the overflow, and if the overflow is full as well. theres only one place for the water to go and thats straight out onto the ground. as the car cools down it will then suck the water back into the radiator.

But it used to suck it back until it was level with the radiator. Now I can only just see it in the filler neck.
I know it's probably not that big a problem, I was just curious.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
when i first got my Commie it did the same.... wouldnt suck back into the radiator.... i went to AutoBarn and bought a new cap... made it worse... AutoBarn sold me the wrong cap cos as soon as the engine got a bit warm.... coolant started blowing into the overflow....they argued with me that they had sold me the right cap.... I went and looked in SupaCheaps book ... sure enough I was sold the wrong cap.... Now my cap has a rubber seal on the top.... AutoBarns cap didnt... SupaCheaps book told me there is 2 different preasured cooling systems.... higher system uses the cap with the rubber seal and NOT the metal disk seal... told AutoBarn of there mistake... they even had the right cap there too... exchanged the cap.... now after 6 months I dont ever have any probs of the coolant not sucking back..